Happy Winter Solstice

Damn that sucks. were you able to put it out? hey are there any huterites in your neck of the woods Jim?

oh I was just reading about them. they sound like savvy business people as well. he context was what it takes to survive in modern rural America. the Amish and huterites have been successful at it and are growing and expanding and getting quite wealthy in some cases.

Jim if you have a stove in the basement why don't you just use it? Do you not use your basement at all, or is there no way to get any of the heat upstairs? I heat my whole home, primarily from the basement wood stove, only run the upstairs insert when it's really cold out and we need a boost.

Any wood heat is better than no wood heat. At the 0f temps we've been having outdoors I can easily keep my house 75degrees inside without a lick of heat other than wood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have always been a little scared of it Justin.

I guess I could give it a try.

No registers or anything. I could keep the door open but then Daniel would go down there.

The stove must be 100 years old.

You can contain great big beasts, you can contain Daniel. A chain works well, I mean a gate.

Is the floor insulated? A heated-floor from a heated basement will probably be comfy. The whole floor is a radiator, I'd think.

Not that my wood burner is old but that’s how I heated my house till we had kids. My wood burner just blew heat into the basement. It would remain a bit chilly upstairs but waking up in the morning and stepping on warm tile in the bathroom was so nice. Jim it might not heat your whole house all night long but it would help reduce your furnace usage if you filled it up before bedtime.

I have always been a little scared of it Justin.

I guess I could give it a try.

No registers or anything. I could keep the door open but then Daniel would go down there.

The stove must be 100 years old.

Don't just fire it up without posting up some pics. Also without verifying the cleanliness and condition of the chimney.

Wood heat is serious business. You're a fireman so I'm sure you got it covered but I have four smoke alarms and three co detectors in my house. At the minimum, one of each should be on every floor of a home. Minimum.

They would be dangerously incorrect in their thinking.

I love wood heat. But I take it very seriously.

Old doesn't really trump new when it comes to chimneys or appliances. Everything has a limited lifespan. Even masonry chimneys. It all depends on construction, use, and maintenance.

Never ever forget that when you are heating with a wood stove, what you have is a small metal box inside your house that has a very hot fire inside it. Any mistake can have serious consequences.

We heat our home more than 98% with wood heat. We wouldn't do it any other way. But you have to appreciate the situation, or you can easily fook the pooch.

Back