Old vs. New equip.....

Great info Jim. Forecasting real need is a big one, then working it into the budget. Avoiding surprise whenever possible.

Breakdowns can be minimized, but are unavoidable.

Tread carefully trying to build a relationship with a bank manager, may have been legit years ago .
Last 2 bank managers I dealt with ended up as car salesmen.....and they were managing Credit Unions..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great words Jim, solid.
Definitely looking at LLC soon. Must learn something from past mistakes....or might repeat.

I've got some down payment money....I think I can find some financing if need be... Cal-line in Livermore is pretty good.
I'll be making some calls when the time gets closer....

Not to derail....

What do people like for the year 2000.....Ford, GMC, or International for a chip truck?

FWIW, I just stumbled on local tree service's website today and they had a pic of all the equip lined up, had 3 pickup based chip trucks with aluminum chip bodies ( looked like grain bodies) 1 dodge, 2 ford, looked like 450 or 550 size, and 1 bigger international. not sure on the years but they seemed to like fords

Thanks Jim....my first car at 16 was an IHC 75 scout....I'd like to stay International....

Thanks Merle. Good avenue.

I like International...only 'cause I have two...but way older than 2000. This is my 1945 International, KB-5 model...I would love to make a log hauler out of it one day.

At the least a hauler for something.

Attachments

• 1945 IHC KB-5 RESZD 1.jpg
    1945 IHC KB-5 RESZD 1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 45
Ha! It has a flathead 6, was running fine when taken out of action supposedly...a screaming 93 HP. It's the same type engine as my 1949 International.

But a grapple...that is interesting.

hahahaha...I'll throw you a line, bro! Then we'll make a fire, sit around and dry off while we cook some fish in a hot skillet on the fire.

Wrap the fillets up in bread, eat and tell lies...party's on!

My thoughts would be the same as no bivy. Never owned a brand new truck in my life.
My order would be international, Ford, avoid gmc...
My gmc has cost me probably $8k in repairs the last few years, never again. More than my f700 cost in 9 years by a long shot. I replaced a radiator in my international when I first bought it and had some electrical issues that turned out to be simple.

I love IHC, I drove a 2000 Chip truck around for two years, loved it. a goat with a stick.

gearing...even 4x4 helps....and solid air brakes are key....Man,
sometimes the setup outside on the curb scares me more
than the tree or going through the living room with the brush....

Fella I know recently had an F-250 with a Bandit 250 on a serious hill (major mismatch)....
He chaulked it, set it in Park, set it in 4L and pulled the emergency brake.....

Chipping it "popped" and chugged down the hill into his friends car parked in front of it into a street tree.
He's lucky it didn't go through a house.

He had regular insurance and not commercial insurance on the truck and chipper, crazy stuff.
Since then he priced out a truck and chipper insurance over 1000/month...that's just heresay though.

That's a great year for Internationals, Deva. Is it a DT466?

Willie, what year and engine in your GMC gave you fits? My c5500 has been great.

Yes the dt466. Absolute thrasher...very reliable. Seeing a few out there...just saving my money up.

I think that's a great choice for a truck. I agree with most of what has been already said. I've bought all used trucks, and mostly used equipment. I think the bottom line answer to your original question is what is your workload? The payments should be easy if you're out everyday working. If you're not doing tree work everyday while you get started, you might have some time to work on older equipment. If you want to stay cash based, a chuck and duck will get you started, and they're very simple and reliable. They will beat you up though!

If your tree service is turning down more jobs then it does then you definitely don't have time to wrench on old dinosaurs.
But I have a soft heart for old gear that carried me over for so many years ......I'm feeling the urge to restore a old TJ or Clark skidder. But that's just retirement calling:D

Back