Old vs. New equip.....

I know that Butch, as I wore that phrase out years ago:D
I just go with the flow now:)
Rule of thumb but not scientifically proven.

My mindset now is to buy new. But we've been in business for close to 5 years. When I started I spent a LOT of time buying used equipment and learning to repair that equipment. I think in the beginning it was a great approach because I had the time on my hands and I saved money with the cost of buying used equipment and learning to do repairs. However, as you grow and your focus shifts to managing your workload, you cannot waste time with equipment repairs. You need it either not to break down, or you need it fixed immediately. So, I would look at where your at in your business life cycle, where you expect it to be for the next 1-2 years and make your decision from there. With you already having a clientele, a strong background in the industry, and a good name out there... I would lean on the side of advising you to buy new. I have a feeling you are going to be much busier than you anticipate and time will quickly become your most valuable and guarded asset.

jp:D

Very well explained. I wouldn't say I've thought as deeply about it as that. But I can't afford breakdowns (but can afford finance) so I recently went the New route on a truck and grinder.

There's a "near new" Morbark chipper close to you Deva, but I think I'd give it a miss.:/:

Prices here make it a bit hard to buy new mostly, but good second hand stuff isn't easy to get either. There's a lot more now than a few years ago though.

That's a great year for Internationals, Deva. Is it a DT466?

Willie, what year and engine in your GMC gave you fits? My c5500 has been great.
It's an 02 C7500 with a Cat engine. Engine has been solid. Emissions junk from California caused issues, rear end went out twice, blew hoses on the boom etc.

Back