Splicing sterling 9mm cord

savan

TreeHouser
After some practice I've srt'd the last couple 30-35' dead wood jobs (by jobs I mean in my yard). I've taken a liking to the distel and have been tying the hitch with a very long piece of 9mm sterling cord w/ anchor knotted on each end into the biner. That's 4 rope diameters wide on the biner, not optimal.

I'm curious, how long is your vt/distel cord? I'm going to try my hand at creating my own e2e cord for the hitch and a lanyard. I don't care about the lanyard length but want the hitch cord to be as short as possible.

The NE guide for a buried eye says to bury 2 lengths (21x the rope diameter, twice). That's a little more than 15" buried per side. 30" seem on the long side. Also isn't it going to be *really* stiff? The entire cord basically ends up being a buried tail...

Am I missing something in creating this cord? Thanks-

ps these will be tied onto arbor plex and safety blue

pps - I also posted this over on arboristsite.com

-- -----------
Well I failed for about an hour and a half. Is doing a buried eye splice not a good move on a 9mm single braid, not hollow core?

The NE guide says. Oh just taper the tail and bury 2 fid lengths. Well this single braid not hollow core is tight ad all get out! I can barely get a coat hanger in there let alone most of the width of a 9m cord!

If I read correctly on my smartphone, I would suggest samson ice tail eye to eye instructions. If memory serves me right, it's 4 brummels and bury the tails each side. You can reduce the length.

Have you tried a double fisherman's loop/scaffold knot ? I like having the adjustability in hitch length. cant remember the last time I used an eye 2 eye.

I thought from reading up on Sterling cords quite a few were kernmantle construction and can only be sewn for loops.

Better research the rope some more.
Shoot a picture and someone here might know more about it also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reddog, you're right this is a kermantle rope. I was trying to follow the New England single braid splice instructions. These instructions are to bury two fid, links of the whole rope core and all.

I emailed sterling a couple days ago and I didn't get anything back from them, not even a confirmation that they got my email.

Have you tried a double fisherman's loop/scaffold knot ? I like having the adjustability in hitch length. cant remember the last time I used an eye 2 eye.

Yes I have tried a couple of double fisherman's on the carabiner. This is definitely a better load situation on the carabiner but is kind of clunky and is a little more messy at the carabiner than an eye to eye.

I gave up on them emailing. I called and they told me you can't get it w/an eye splice. You can get it with a sewn eye but don't recommend a buried splice. guess i'm getting a speedy stitcher...

An old thread savan, but if you are still interested in splicing the 9mm Sterling accessory cord, I had success using New England Ropes' heavy duty kernmantel splice. Not the most pretty splice but does the job. The 9mm is the only size that works because it has a looser braid than the other sizes and surprisingly is weaker than the 8mm for some reason.

Damn, that looks odd. Never done kernmantle splice before, so I don't know what it's supposed to look like. I'd send one out to break before I climbed in it tho.

The splice puts two diameters of core and the cover all on one side to give it a lopsided look. The whipping I would do differently, this was done a few years back. It's a solid splice if the cover is loose enough to accept the bury. I'm not a big fan of this cord, just wanted to see if it was spliceable.

Hi Tommy, do you not like this particular splice that New England Ropes developed for the 11mm Fly rope, or is it just my redition of it?

It 's hard to make something that lumpy and lopsided look good. Even the professionally done splices look off.

Hi Tommy, do you not like this particular splice that New England Ropes developed for the 11mm Fly rope, or is it just my redition of it?

Hiya Brocky,

Nothing against what you've done, I'm just not a fan of that particular splice. There is a tidy splice that you can do for Aeris which looks like a conventional splice that I've always wondered if it would work for Fly but never tried it. I've got a Slaice on my Fly at the minute and that solves my problem! (Sorry for the late reply!:))

Thanks for the tip about the splice for Azeris rope. I'm guessing you mean the Marlowbraid splice. It looks a lot easier and better looking than the NER splice. I'll have to give it a try.

I think it's the Marlow braid splice. I was sent some directions that were just for Areris specifically by never mentioned the name. Watching a video it looks really similar

I like how the cover tail is drawn inside the rope and not left out. Plus it has to be pull through the core creating a loose brummel.

Edit: Just watched the video and it is slightly different than the pictures instructions shown on the website. In the video both tails come out the same side losing the brummel in the process.

This is some older, loose cover 8mm NER accessory cord that has a hard lay splice. It is almost identical to the Marlowbraid splice. Much nicer then the heavy duty kernmantel splice.
IMG_1354.jpg

Back