45 Trees, 3 climbers, 3 weeks of residential logging.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quite a job..
Merry Christmas to all..

Pretty clear you all have it going on... I just paid a little visit to Bix and BOTS... Bix was killin it.. He put a 90-100' dry sugar pine on the ground, up and down in 30 minutes.... no fooling around.. Broke every rule in the book, but looked GOOD doing it...

Coordination is half the job on something like that.. Seems like it would have been good to bring in some bigger steel.. nice big track skid loader with a grapple and a monster chipper to stuff it, and maybe even a big bucket truck.. a 75' can do multiple trees from one position, though its not much more than a elevator half way to the top on 150'...

We had the bigger steel show up once we made room for it and prepped for it during the first week. I kept the bucket truck money and bought two dump trailers instead.

every situation is different .. Its hard to play armchair quarterback from 3000 miles away.. Actually its easy to play.. everybody likes to, but few are any good at it. unless you're familiar with the territory etc.., its easy to wiff... Good to give people the benefit of the doubt, that they just might know how to handle THEIR job s better than you do... (except when its clear they don't have a clue)

Here is a video of some of the prep work by zip line we did before we floated logs out in prep for the crane.
The blue line Dave had in the far back tree in the garden walk area. I used it to line out my tree as well. I wish I could have had some vid done from the ground of us using two zip lines side by side. Katy had to work on her own clients in between shooting the camera at our job. Some stuff just did not get on film.
I did get some good news that one of my guys made me a copy of the disc he got from the HO. Can't wait to see all else she captured. She gave us some pretty cool prints at the end of the job.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9i3T_a2VuAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love the speedlining Stephen!

But the lifeline anchoring technique made me cringe a bit. Why not around the trunk? Why just a lateral?

Nice job, nice vids!

Jomo

Faster on the lateral. Those limbs will hold my weight easily. I know those trees rather personally. I had just dead wooded them the previous fall. I will use the trunk once the limb size drops too far in diameter. I will also use two limbs when I feel I need to.
If you are also referring to a side loaded carabiner, notice I am sliding the spline towards the trunk. Spline will take the load if it has to. I have seen tests where this type of loading is not all that much of an issue. Amazing the loads the crabs took. Say the weight of two guys falling over 6 feet, it might be an issue. One 160 lb guy might gaff out and drop 12-24 inches... no biggie. JMO
I am not trying to convince anyone else to adopt my methods, just that am confident in them for my self and willing to take the risks for my self.

Yep, I do the same thing as Stephen, I even go over 2 branches as well when small, then around trunk when its smaller.

Dying branches are fine, its the ones thats been dead for a long time that you dont tie into and its easy to tell when you up there ;)

Well, rationalizations for choosing a weaker anchor setup, to save a few seconds can still get both of yu's killed mates.

Back in 06 on Lake Arrowhead's HOA, I was up over 100 feet simply cuttin and pushing laterals in the general direction I wanted them to fall, when the tail of my wire core lanyard, got stuck in a tight V of the fairly sizable lateral I'd just cut free, gave me a sudden jerk downward that bout gave me a heart attack!

Choosing the strongest lifeline anchoring technique's a dandy good idea when the unexpected inevitably takes a bite at yu, IME.

Jomo

Point taken.
Now, if I were working Arrowhead or Big Bear or Wrightwood areas, I would be more prone to take my anchor point to the trunk. The dryer climate there inevitably leads to a more brittle union/limb/collar. These trees were green 3 months prior. Less of a concern for me. Of course one must continuously inspect and assess the tree as the climb progresses.

LOL, still got the flip line around trunk and spikes in tree...your a Joke Jomo, really!

Nice zip lining. It's rare for me to do. Just not to a benefit most jobs around here. We all love it when the opportunity presents itself.
The bigger iron would've been nice I'm sure, but if they're paying for low impact, might as well give it to them.

Thanks Rich. Zip lining can come in real handy in the right places. Dave and I did some trees together the other day. Chipper parked near by 2. Some lowering on those but mostly bomb or chuck limbs. Tree I took on was further away down a hill. I set up a climber tensioned zip line and took my loop runners (24) up the tree. We only had one groundsman. So he started primarily taking care of Dave and staging the brush. Then I would send 4,5,6,7, down the line and he would strip the gear and send 12 at a time on my climb line. He was able to handle the needs of two climbers this way. My brush landed with in 10-15 feet of the chipper feed chute, butts all facing the same way, he could just move it over in bundles. Brush did not have to be drug up the hill... I love doing it. Saves clean up time too having most the mess in only a couple places instead of a trail of it.
This is a repost, but from the same job. limited room to lower the top of the furthest tree in the garden path. Zip lined it right to the driveway.
Top was on a 1/2 block running the line.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gvNoUuQVsMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bigger iron pics are about done.. But we just got some from the home owner I will post next :D

Great picture book and read Stephen.
Two other climbers to work with and the sena's yea that just screams cool. Your so right on the logistics, timing of others. Those are the wear me out mentally jobs.
Great work.

:)

Attachments

• DSCI0784.jpg
    DSCI0784.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCI0785.jpg
    DSCI0785.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCI0788.jpg
    DSCI0788.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCI0790.jpg
    DSCI0790.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCI0791.jpg
    DSCI0791.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCI0794.jpg
    DSCI0794.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCI0796.jpg
    DSCI0796.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCI0798.jpg
    DSCI0798.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCI0803.jpg
    DSCI0803.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCI0804.jpg
    DSCI0804.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCI0805.jpg
    DSCI0805.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCI0806.jpg
    DSCI0806.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 48
DSCI0809.jpg DSCI0811.jpg DSCI0813.jpg DSCI0814.jpg
This one is a killer shot of Dave!
DSCI0815.jpg DSCI0816.jpg DSCI0817.jpg DSCI0819.jpg DSCI0820.jpg
Here is Dales little set up.. Trailer dumps and has sides and stakes. Stout little goosey!
DSCI0821.jpg DSCI0822.jpg DSCI0823.jpg
Got Sleet that day and had to shut her down. Skipped a day and came back due to weather.

Attachments

• DSCI0824.jpg
    DSCI0824.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 48
Can you imagine doing athat job without the SENAs.
You would have been pretty hoarse at the end.

This has really been a fine presentation of a super professinal job. I've enjoyed following it.

Can you imagine doing athat job without the SENAs.
You would have been pretty hoarse at the end.

This has really been a fine presentation of a super professinal job. I've enjoyed following it.
This would have been a hateful and inefficient job with out them Stig.

Setting up the second rigging point for load sharing gin pole two for the rear garden tree. About 100 or so feet up.
This was the point from which the logs were walked down the path to the drive way. IMG_0951.jpg IMG_0952.jpg
Dave working a tall one on the back corner of the property opposite me...
IMG_0958.jpg IMG_0959.jpg
Tight lay for Stig (there were a few of these :lol: )
DSCI0830.jpg
More garden tree stripping
DSCI0832.jpg DSCI0833.jpg DSCI0834.jpg DSCI0835.jpg
Gin pole top from that tree.....

Attachments

• DSCI0836.jpg
    DSCI0836.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 37
Back