Endoscope for tree inspection

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Has anyone used an endoscope to inspect tree hollows or cavities?
5be36cde712dd19bd315bf6cd720cf64.jpg

They are dirt cheap on Amazon..... $20 or so. If they work, I think could be a valuable tool for quick on the spot inspections. Thinking about getting one to try.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's what I think. From doing some quick research online, it seems like the biggest knock on these is that the light isn't real bright. That could be a problem since a lot of tree cavities are obviously dark and many would be difficult to get additional light in.

Another benefit that I didn't think about...

What diagnosis can be gained by the camera? I get that it's cheap, but what is it going to tell you?

It could be helpful in determining the extent of internal cavities and even visually identify decay organisms not visible otherwise.

It's hard to judge depth/size from a camera without having something to scale/give the image context.

Identifying decay organisms is a valid point I'd say, although the market for that here is, as yet, unrealized.

Judging size would take some practice for sure. Keeping track of how much cable has dropped down the cavity would be an obvious help.

I'll be interested to hear how this works out. i can envision many uses for it myself from wrenching to inspecting my chimneys.

If nothing else you'd look pretty professional poking that in a cavity and muttering stuff about it being worse than you thought.

To me, a resistograph would be better for quantifying the extent of the cavity/decay/structural defect, but it costs a heck of a lot more.

Then again, pay to play. There is also the conflict of interest (perceived/real/potential) from the consulting arborist recommending removal and giving a price to remove the tree.

If nothing else you'd look pretty professional poking that in a cavity and muttering stuff about it being worse than you thought.

Lol!!

Be calm, professional, drop that in and then start getting concerned, mention how the cavity is too far gone to be fixed with a simple phinooten pin or a rinse of antimicrobial hogwash.....

It would definitely have limited applications.... One such application as I see it would be determining the extent of decay up and down the stem. It's easy to stick a probe in to see how far back the decay goes but it can be hard to feel how far and down it goes.

Another use would be to stick it down a crack between two codominate stems. Sometimes it can be very hard to see exactly what is going on in some of those situations.

I'm buying one tonight and we'll see how it works.

Back