MS 441 or MS 461

treesmith

Banned
After putting the 660 in service the other day, I've about decided to sell/trade all 4 of my Huskys and put them toward a new Stihl. I won't get enough to cover a 661, but thought I might approach a size or two down. I have never run a 441 or 461, but was wanting some feedback. Anyone here use either of these? Thoughts?

I have both.
441 is very smooth, 461 has a bit more power but vibrates more.

For what it is worth, I ended up giving my 441 to the apprentice and running the 461 myself. Terrific grunt in hardwood with an 18" bar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for your feedback, Stig.

Only $120 difference (MSRP)...same powerhead weight...I just wondered if there was any reason aside from $$$ to go for the 441.

FWIW, Stihl's reviews show 4.5 out of 5 for the 441....4.9 out of 5 for the 461.

The 461 has rubber mounts, so it vibrates more.
If you run it all day logging, as I do in season, that makes a difference.
Still, I like the way it runs enough to put up with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Would the fact that a 660 was standing by for anything "big" affect your choosing 461 over the 441, Stig?

Would the fact that a 660 was standing by for anything "big" affect your choosing 461 over the 441, Stig?

No. I usually knock them over with the 660 and buck and limb with the 461.
I was actually a bit surprised that I chose the 461 over the 441, usually I don't fall for " rough charm"

I recently bought a 461 as well and I love it. I run a 25 inch bar most of the time, with a 32 for when I need a little more reach. I've never run a 441, but advice from this forum pointed me to the 461. Using the compression release it starts easy, I usually do a few soft pulls to make sure there's fuel through the carb, and sometimes it starts right up off a soft pull.

Sorry I didn't catch this till now, but you chose wisely. Although the 441 is a nice saw, I do like Stig and hand it off to some one else. At work I'm running the 25" bar on the 461 and like that set up. I'll run a 20" on it if there is a lot of felling. I'll add that I'm seriously impressed with the latest batch of Stihl saws.

I debated the exact same thing, 660 way too big and heavy for me, 461 a bit more power for the same weight, and not a lot more expensive. I went 461, run a 20" bar, very happy with it. I can use it in the tree at a pinch too. Could go up or down in bar size if needed no problem.

Well I will buck the trend. If you already have a 660 I would go for a 70cc or 60cc for a better handling saw.

I always liked how my 441 handled when compared to a 046. Never run or handled a 461, so may be off base in my thoughts.

Like Stig, I run the 660 with a 36" bar on the stump and limb and buck with the 461 with a 28" bar, on easy ground. Used to be a Husky guy, but have gone strictly to these two Stihl saws. I did find that it really helps to go with the dual port muffler and an aftermarket air cleaner, well worth the money for the increased performance.

While I have no experience with "01" versions of either saw, I always liked running my Forest Service owned 046 quite a lot. After that saw found it's way into my stable, the 066 found itself running much reduced hours.

Just to offer some noise :), my own 044 is about the finest saw I have ever run, power to weight ratio and reliability. Too bad one can't buy them, nor the 066, nor the 046 for that matter any more.

Having posted more of that next to useless noise :), if I were to walk into my local Stihl shop tomorrow, I bet I'd pull the trigger on the 461 over the 441.

But the reality is, you'd not be making a serious mistake either way, imo.

Wazznt me....
I have a spare for parts under the counter... It shell be done.. Just got all the bugs worked out of it too. How long have I had Chris's saw? Man.

Here she is doing what she does best. Buried and cutting chunkys.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iErBqvZ894s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

VERY cool watching that chunk run/float to the gin pole. And seeing that dinosaur grapple pluck it out of the air...I did see that right?

:thumbup:

Back