262xp starting problem

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Appreciate the advice. I know there is a very logical way to approach saw repairs, but I'm still sometimes knocking my head against the wall.

If there is any doubt what so ever hose is not OK it is to be replaced.

Leaking carbs usually make the saw perform different. If welch plug is bad it can flood, but that is a rare issue, I never seen on HDA.
Shaft leakage, needle leak, bad seats, bad needles, membranes, gaskets and butter fly issues I have seen.
I have done several hundred HDA's and still get a couple every week..

But I think you said it got wet, so I think you have a sparkling problem.

When you have these running right and start hot you put it in throttle loch position and no choke.
If you drop start or knee start you activate brake before pulling.

Magnus, I put in a new fuel hose, but it wasn't the issue. I'm still looking for leaks. Aside from the starting problem, the idle does rev up on it's own sometimes, I think indicating a leak.

Yes, it could be indicating a leak.
Shifting position on saw can sometimes help provoke a fault. Side to side to see crank seals, front tilt to see cylinder/carb leak.
It is not a absolute test or absolutely without a doubt certain way, but it finger points sometimes..

Pressure testing carb is not that hard. You should do that. It is not much pressure needed..

I ordered a new ignition, have to see. I read somewhere that the 262xp is hard on those.

For testing carbs inlet needle and check leaks all you need is a hose and a glass of fuel.
With mouth you get positive and negative pressure, bite to hold it...

No need to buy a kit to test once or twice in a life time.

My kit is one I found in a dealers box that is from later 50's. I am now third generation using it...

I think this could be a ignition problem.
On 262/254/257 it was not as common as later models, but it did happen.

I changed out a couple hundred the past ten years...

How about that... I got out after writing this as a customer came and needed a ignition replaced on a 254...

Talk about coincidence. Almost spookey!

Reason I rather use the used old ones is that the ones I tried from after market left a lot to desire in quality and performance.
I put in 30 or so and I had only one or two of them that worked well.

I don't have access to much in the way of used coils here, and new ones put out by the saw companies if available for a particular model, are expensive. I rolled the dice and ordered a Chinese one, but it hasn't come yet. Reading reviews, they seem hit or miss, some folks have good luck with them, others end up returning replacements five times. Some stupid stuff sometimes, like the plug wire being too short. Some Chinese aftermarket seems fine for things, like I have purchased carb rebuild kits that seem every bit as good as original parts that came on a Husky or Stihl saw, and the rebuild kit even came in a little plastic case. :headbang: Maybe that's where the originals come from anyway. Hope i get lucky with a decent working coil, tried to be selective about which outfit I ordered from, the one that had the least strange sounding name. :|:

Back