100+ Octane Racing Fuel Heaven

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can run your saw on Ethanol. You need to find a oil that mix with it, but after that you can run E-85 even if the carb can deliver enough of it.
It has been done here.

That wasn't the tune you was whistlin a page ago Mag!

Jomo

Yes, it is. I am not making my point clear enough I suppose.. These were brand new saws adapted for the fuel.
IMO there is to be No shifting between fuels or mixes, it is big risks involved in used, unprepared saws with uneducated users.
The education is pricey to learn in rebuilds and new saws.

Commercial gas, AV gas, Alkylate, Any good oil even E85 will work if saw is set up right for the fuel and is not affected by prior use of other fuel.
A change in fuel can lead to damages if it has other property's or needs. Change of components in fuel is the same. That include oil used in fuel.

When shifting fuels here I tear them down, clean crank case, piston in and out, cylinder top, ports and reassemble with new gaskets, membranes, hoses, fuel filter and plug.
I start it up and set it for the new fuel. It is never the same settings. This is not just with the different fuels, oil is often very different in property's as well.
That minimizes the risks.

So my Harvey homeowner's saws are both going to fry cuz I dumped his ethanol adulterated mix out and filled them with my racing mix eh?

Even box store Stihls seem to luv it no end IME!

Jomo

No, not necessarily, but there is a risk.
I won't risk a wrecking, can't advise anyone to do it either... It is not very hard to clean them up and reset so why take risks?

In my Experience of about 5-600 of conversions I say it is about 50/50 chance.

You wouldn't believe how many greens in this industry fry their saws effin with their carbs Mag.

Saws not takin to ethanol well can't be cured by twistin adjustment screws IME.

Jomo

Well I do this for a living and see it daily so I have seen quite a bit...
Many saws I get in collection are cooked for this reason.

I see them run different from different petrol stations, same stations different delivery's even.

Making sure saw run right is hard on today's saws as it is very hard to notice the difference until it is too late.
All saws that have a change in fuel should be reset.

Had two this week that was dug out of a basement and cooked as the fuel changed and settings not.
The new oil resolved carbon buildup and poof.

Funny, you should see my Frankenstein 020T, a conglomeration of 3 versions of MS200's. Yet it's the oldest carb, with 3 adjustment screws that gives me that on the pipe throttle response I crave!

Funny thing is, once my carb settings were set in an active cut? I haven't touched them for years! Even puttin that old carb onto a newer version 200 didn't require a carb adjustment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 34
Lead is a good thing it lube's and takes head out of the exhaust by absorbing the heat and poopin it out with the fumes. You will get lead deposits though over a long period of time.

Higher octane fuel is more stable and burns cleaner it's not going to hurt shit, higher compression motors benefit more from 100 plus but the good thing about higher juice is it's pure gas no corn.

Jomo, u can get 100LL at your local aviation center for like 6 a gallon i think its going for , its a real pretty blue(lol) bring a 5 gallon can with you and tell them you have a experimental you fly and make up some shit if they ask, i doubt they will though.

o hell i did it again and posted without lookin at the last date. o well. im no good at this forum shit.

Lead is a good thing it lube's and takes head out of the exhaust by absorbing the heat and poopin it out with the fumes. You will get lead deposits though over a long period of time.

If lead was such a "good thing", why did it get outlawed?

If lead was such a "good thing", why did it get outlawed?

Health, If everyone still ran it it wouldn't just be smog it would be smog with lead in it. Well that and it's not the 60's anymore where the heads and valve train needed it.

tetraethyl lead, that is the name of it that is added to gas. You can buy qts of it and add it to gas to boost the juice. Almost, all air cooled piston airplane's run it, still to this day. I only see it everyday with the planes i work on at the flight school were i'm a mech. Smell's good to.

Health, If everyone still ran it it wouldn't just be smog it would be smog with lead in it. Well that and it's not the 60's anymore where the heads and valve train needed it.

I was being sarcastic..

Back