Redwood Coast 2015 & 2016

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yesterday in Jedediah Smith ... couple originally from Canada, recently moved to the USA.

M_J_23_1600mdv.jpg

Pure beauty, Mario.

Thank you. The also appreciated advice to marry near a small trail down near water. That first photo was in the patch of redwoods opposite boy scout tree trailhead. the other side of Howland Hill Rd. I'm guessing you know the group of redwoods intimately.

I came in a day early for myself and shared some time to let them get a few family photos with their daughters.

I like how it's brighter on one side...

Normally I don't care for sun for portraits, nor for redwood photos. But once we got in there ... I agree the light adds a nice mood shining in from the right side.

Attachments

• M_J_4_1400.jpg
    M_J_4_1400.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 19
  • M_J_8_1400_B.jpg
    M_J_8_1400_B.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 18
  • M_J_17_1600.jpg
    M_J_17_1600.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 18
One from today in Prairie Creek. The sun came out in Jedediah at daybreak, so I drove south before 7 am and Prairie Creek was overcast.

Jugger_1400mdv.jpg

"Colossus" is the name I give that tree. To meet grade requirements, when building the highway through the park, the root crown on this side of the tree was cut. Oh, 100 years ago, give or take a few. Today, the bark on this side of Colossus is just barely hanging on.

Nice pic, Mario. In the background, behind that tree, are two specimens near the same size. What a beautiful place!

I was thinking of you the morning I took this photo, because the lighting was very pleasant and similar to what I recall in some photos you took in the Atlas Grove.

About 11 am, I drove back north toward Jed Smith, but stopped first to do a diameter wrap on Babe's scrotum at Trees of Mystery. His balls are 9.5 ft. circumference or close to 3 ft. diameter. LOL ... Babe is also 26 ft. much shorter than the 35 ft. listed on the sign. One of the off-the-wall things added to the day's adventures.

I may add your nickname name also, to the page I made for this redwood some time ago.

If a spark ever blew under those loose sheets of bark the rotten sapwood would start burning under it and be almost impossible to put out. It would change the looks of the tree like we have never seen it before. Well, there are plenty of other examples around that we see today. Too bad trees are so flammable.

This is the webcam of Trees of Mystery. Can't really see Babe's balls but they are there. People must have thought you were strange measuring them, Mario.

Attachments

• trees of mystery.jpg
    trees of mystery.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 27
This is the webcam of Trees of Mystery. Can't really see Babe's balls but they are there. People must have thought you were strange measuring them, Mario.

Strange she says !! Who ... me ??

Attachments

• 101_Horsing_12mdv.jpg
    101_Horsing_12mdv.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 24
Underneath shade of 300 ft. canopy, the last couple hours of daylight.

Attachments

• HHG_Contrast_12mdv.jpg
    HHG_Contrast_12mdv.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 62
Colors of the Forest ... think I will have this one printed.

Bole_Light_16mdv.jpg

Another tall stack in the redwood forest.

Mark_2_3200_bright.jpg

Pure, awesome beauty. That looks like a lot of the trees you see in Prairie Creek. Cathedrals

Prairie Creek is awesome. I'm supposed to do wedding photos for someone mid-Sept. and suggested they keep that park in mind this time of year. Attached below is something I've been wanting to photograph for quite some time. Took 8 minutes to reach the trunks from where my camera was placed.

La_Leche_%20Redwood_Brwn_Cr.jpg

Back