Redwood Coast 2015 & 2016

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some of my favorite images lately are the last hour of daylight in the redwoods.

Density_1400mdv.jpg

That's a nice one, lots of green for true:thumbup:

Here's your family at the Mutant Redwood. The light is a real challenge in that part of the valley, especially backlit. But for every spot that's tough for photos, there's always the spots that are more forgiving.

Attachments

• Levi_Mtnt2_1600.jpg
    Levi_Mtnt2_1600.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 17
Oh man, it was a slippery scramble. I wouldn't have thought to climb up there but Mario challenged me to it so I pretty much had to at that point.:D

Seeing that photo I remember how much of a buster little Sequoia was being that morning. I wasn't about to let a 4 yr old ruin the day though, what an incredible walk down that abandoned trail, I will definitely return to that spot if I ever make it back to Prairie Creek!

About a half mile in that trail turns to a real bog, and the trees are not near as big as the ones at the beginning. But, if you slog through you will come out on the James Irvine Trail near where the Clintonia trail ties in. It's all good, really.

Good to know, if I ever make it back. We only went in about a 1/4 mile or so, I think we turned around at a big cathedral tree a bit further in from the mutant tree. I hope I get the chance one day to go walking in those woods without the little boys, I get the feeling I could get carried away quick in those woods. A few times while wandering off trail I realized how easy it would be to get lost in there, plus I think the bigfoot was watching me at one point:/:

Rugged terrain, no doubt about that. What do you make of the bigfoot, Gerry? Is there something to it or just a bunch of hype?

More to worry about mountain lions. There was an attack about 10 years ago in Prairie Creek. Old fellow got it bad. would be dead if not for his wife clubbing the thing with a limb.

As a kid growing up in those woods I worried needlessly about Big Foot. No worry though.

If Bigfoot is real I think we'd get on just fine.:D interesting about the lions, it would be a beautiful sight to see! (From a distance of course) I saw some bear poop, I would have thought they'd be hibernating but a wildlife biologist informed me that they rarely, if ever, hibernate in those parts.

Good to know, if I ever make it back. We only went in about a 1/4 mile or so, I think we turned around at a big cathedral tree a bit further in from the mutant tree. I hope I get the chance one day to go walking in those woods without the little boys, I get the feeling I could get carried away quick in those woods. A few times while wandering off trail I realized how easy it would be to get lost in there, plus I think the bigfoot was watching me at one point:/:

One nice aspect exploring without children, or even just going solo sometimes, isn't just how far we can go into the redwoods. But how long one can spend in one location. Sometimes there's a tree, stream, log, hill or grove that can can hold attention or rest for quite a while ... I loved the lighting in this spot. When you see this one printed, the trunks on the side are much darker. Looks pretty nifty either way ... This would make a nifty 16 x 20 print.

Levi_7_1400.jpg

That's another great one, can't wait to see all the rest. Thanks Mario.

Some days I enjoy sun in the redwoods, but I like the feel or mood that fog offers in that forest.

Fog_Foliage_18mdv.jpg

Ah, the possibilities are endless. Nice composition. The lighting was good.

Speaking of, Jed Smith Redwoods arrives tomorrow, by next week you'll receive a parcel. Thanks, Mario!

Ah, the possibilities are endless. Nice composition. The lighting was good.

Speaking of, Jed Smith Redwoods arrives tomorrow, by next week you'll receive a parcel. Thanks, Mario!

You must have got my email, but wonderful book. I loaned one copy to the Curly Redwood Lodge motel. People are thumbing through my photo album book every day, so they are going to put the copy of your Jed book next to mine so visitors can see it as well. I told the Curly folks that several of your books are in the Humboldt visitor center for travelers headed south so they know to look there too.

Posted this owl image on Facebook the other day. Man ... so glad I brought a "long" lens. I left my 70-200 f/2.8 behind to keep weight off my pack, and a little voice said to bring my light 135mm f/2 along. Had to crop, but at least I got 2200 pixels worth.

owl_1200mdv.jpg

I think the mail man is reading my copy, been checking the mail everyday!

The book is beautiful. If he sneaked a peek at even a page, you can bet he'd be tempted !!

I've sure been enjoying mine. Thanks, Jerry...I trust you got my email earlier.

Nice shot of the owl, Mario...barred or spotted?

Great photo, Mario. I always take it as a good omen when I get to see an owl.

Mine went to Seattle first, on its way back now ��

Your owl, or your book?

:)

I've sure been enjoying mine. Thanks, Jerry...I trust you got my email earlier.

Nice shot of the owl, Mario...barred or spotted?

Pretty sure it's a barred owl.

Great photo, Mario. I always take it as a good omen when I get to see an owl.

Your post was why I was kidding with SOTC ... pretending he was referring to what you wrote about owl omens

:D

Back