drill bit for checking trunk integrity?

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

My ash removal project is a bit stalled after the first two trees. I'm working on getting a towable lift, but one company took their 50-footer out of the rental fleet and the other will only rent to commercial customers.

In the meantime--and in case I can't get a lift arranged--I'm wondering what diameter auger bit you would recommend for taking some core samples of the tree in question?

Thanks!

What do you have. A 1/4" by 12" or so would work. Drill into the roots, too. Try not to drill through and "dirt" the drill tip.

Call local tree services for a drop-and-leave quote. Maybe check with Nick (screen name Bonner1040, I think) at TreeStuff for a drop and leave price.

Can't be impossible to get a tow-behind in Indianopolis. Sunbelt or Hertz rentals can have them brought in for other locations.

Did you explore high-line options?

A lot of rental companies in my area don't rent to tree companies. Made it a PITA when I needed a 80 foot lift for a big, dead way to long white oak. Ask bonner for a demo on a nifty-lift.

Local tree guy here has an 80ft spider lift he rents outs and actually I think that's mostly what he does now. $500 a day and he will sit there and move it around for u all day.

I might need to get his number Joe. We don't need things like that to often but it's good to have options when we do. Just got a number for a guy somewhat local with a big k-boom

We use a 1/4" drill bit from Harbor Freight with a foam ear plug for depth records. The bit is probably 12" long. Anything more than 12" is usually pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, guys. While I don't get the ear plug tip either, it sounds like 1/4" x 12"+ is the way to go!

You got it Sean. You just can't push on the drill too hard otherwise you will bottom out the bit if you hit a cavity. Usually you can tell something is coming by watching the chip color.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back