HAAS or SAKA?

Im on the 11.7 also and just noticed some marks on my rope from what looks like slippage damage,i use a ct footie and am wondering now... Looks like a ct on the saka too.

The Haas and SAKA are only one component in an SRT system to climb the rope initially. They clip in for one leg, then a foot ascender for the other leg, and whatever you prefer for your main attachment, Hitch Hiker, Rope Wrench, Bulldog, Rope Runner...any of those on your bridge to work off.
Once you get up to your working point, you detach the Haas/SAKA from one side and foot ascender from the other, and go to work.
I have a home-made knee ascender, it goes in the cargo pocket once I'm up and my foot ascender stays on my foot.

Why are these tools known as Knee Ascenders.

I just got the haas about two months ago. I like it a lot. I was leaning more toward the saka until I took a srt course and met the haas creator. Nice guy and lives about two hours from me so it was " hometown" shopping.
The way it was explained to me was if your ascender is slipping and chewing up the rope , you're going to fast. You're not giving the spring time to close on the rope

That's what I was wondering how fast you'd have to go to make it slip! I made my own, not self advancing, bungees aren't good quality up here. I'll use it in the canopy for a 3:1 point.

I don't run up the rope, just an easy walking pace. It would slip and I could slide it up and down before it would grab again. The slip is a little startling when u don't expect it but my concern was it slipping and snagging or damaging my rope.

Because they ride about knee height is my guess. I remember hearing about knee ascenders and thinking they would have to be uncomfortable as hell. Why would I want to strap something to my knee?

It probably has something to do with technique Joe. One might be shaped slightly different causing the clber to need to take a bit of a different step. Or it was just a messed up ascender.

Yea had a discussion on the buzz about it and was told the same but here are my 2 points:
1. Neither my foot ascender or other 2 knee ascenders ever slip
2. Technique is great for open air ascents but what happens when u hit obstacles or have to push aside a branch or u use branches to step up on as your ascending. Technique is out the window at that point

I've noticed on my home made set up if the pull of the foot is not forcing the rope into the rope guide pocket on the ascender I get pretty bad picking, perhaps this also might cause slippage? I'm 200lbs, all loaded up.

The one on the left is how I make sure it's set up, the one on the right drags the rope over the teeth of the cam during ascent.

Just my 5 cents, we don't have the penny any more up here.

IMG_20151026_093000.jpg

They both use ct ascenders but they are different ascenders if u see them side by side
Yep, HAAS uses a CT chest ascender, SAKA uses a CT simple ascender.

Don't know if that has any affect on slippage. Haven't used my HAAS since the day my SAKA arrived. I think the SAKA works better if you want to use a lower tending point.

Not sure if he is still doing this but he was making them with your choice of an ascender if you asked or if you sent him one he would make you a Saka with it

Back