What Happened To Mike Majors?

Man, that was intense. I can't even imagine ever rigging out anything that big. I wouldn't even think that it could be possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those 2 rigging jobs (the Big Hickory and the Big Redwood) would have scared off 9 out of 10 of the tree companies who bothered to work on them. It's very refreshing and encouraging to see that we still have Master Riggers such as Don Blair and his crew, who can keep the traditional methods alive. Too many riggers just rely on power and hydraulic equipment and have lost the ancient skills.

Don Blair is hopefully going to shed some light on Mike Majors and point me in the right direction on how to contact him.

Bump - for info on Mike Majors.

I am still trying to locate Mike, but I thought that I would share another video from 25 years ago by Blair Glenn that shows Mike climbing and rigging wood that many back then or even today would find impossible. Its long and low quality film, but if you love tree work and rigging then you'll love this one, especially the end.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-Tj5o_Qpp3k" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'd never seen a climber on spurs in a "rest" position with one foot above his waist but the camera man stated Mike was a prolific rock climber as well which explained the unorthodox technique. Cool to see one climbing skill overlapping into another.

I may show the guys the Dragon bowline one day when I'm feeling cheesy enough.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Nothing fancy about that video except the work being done. Thanks for sharing.

Seriously? Did you see the size of the top that Mike rigged into the haul-back zipline? Very few have that kind of skill. These days they would bring in a 100 ton crane or larger to remove that tree.

I read that as Fancy Tree Work, plain camera work. No drones, hollywood effects, POV cams, cams being launched with tops.

Found out from arborist Blair Glenn what happed to Mike Majors about 25 years ago, almost happened to me 2 years ago:

"Mike Majors was descending too quickly from the top of a huge fir in the Santa Cruz Mountains about 25 years ago. Went right off the end of his rope. No knot at the end of his rope and he fell (limb to limb) for about the last 40 feet. Landed in a huge pile of horse shit at a stables which saved his life. I visited him at the hospital and he looked terrible. Than he moved to Alaska and I lost touch."

If you guys want to see some pretty cool photos of Mike working with Blair, that gives you a sense of the great skill and athleticism that he had, check out one of Blair's latest videos:

(227) A FEW STORIES from the PAST - YouTube

Blair was a member here for a short while.
Seemed mostly to have joined in order to have us all be completely awed by his work.
When that didn't work, he left again.

I lean more toward Stig's POV.

Watching from afar, I get the feeling that with Blair, its all about Blair.

I was reading comments from a recent August H vid and Blair chimed in saying something like "nice vid, here's a link to something similar i did years ago."

Oooh thanks for the link, not sure how we've gotten this far without seeing that.

🤮

Back