Pulling and falling dead trees.

Hinge brittle, need to take in line slack constantly n quickly?

Introducing Jomo's new in line slack sucker springs!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 46
I'll need six wire cable grabs and three garage door springs for an actual field test suckin 18 feet of 3/8ths winch cable.

May have to wear full coverage motoX helmet during testing!

Hillbilly logging at it's zaniest?

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sean, leans of every magnitude. :D I'd say that with the dried out ones, it's about 20 to 30 degrees back lean where the doubts start to creep through your mind. The majority of trees, limb weight is not much a factor, there being no water in them, and often they have already dropped or might be ready to. :\: People are lucky here that typhoons usually don't pass directly through this particular area.

What about cutting them at ground level with retainers on both sides? About as easy to set three lines in a crotch as one, well, close.

I like to cut em as low as possible as well, theres still moisture at ground level which means better hinge wood for the most part

Sean, what do you mean by retainers, holding lines? Moisture at ground level is an interesting thought. My moisture meter should tell the difference at varying heights.

guy lines, 90 degrees to the lay. Willard used them a lot for felling side leaners.

The moisture was part of my idea, really. Not just thinking that it wouldn't be able to slip off the stump if really crappy and crumbly. No really.;)

if they are straight back leaners you can feel a lot more comfortable.. its the heavy back and side leaners that require holding power from the hinge...
generally where there's a will there's a way... compensation pulls, trainer lines, MA, skid steers and 4x4 trucks... always think how can it be done, not "can it be done?"

That is correct, Peter. It's a weird situation. Thirty or forty years ago there was this big boom to build vacation homes, and my area is one place where it happened. Most of the people that built these places are from the major metropolis that is a minimum three hours away by car. To make a long story short, around half of the many places are no longer being used, or very seldom. Surprising, but many people don't seem to be of the intellect to consider that that even if they don't use their second home, their trees will continue to grow and consequent problems can result. A situation can be very threatening when it is decided to do something about it. Upon being contacted about dead trees leaning over their structure or a neighbour's, often we get the ok to remove the trees, but they will never have come out to look at the situation themselves. Sometimes those initial home builders are no longer around, and you are dealing with their children who may only vaguely remember that there was a place that they wish they didn't have to think about. Who is paying the property tax is a good question. The point is, without communications to be get the ok to do this or that, the rule of thumb is to leave the least amount of footprint from doing the work. The woods not having been maintained, access can be very restrictive. The customers can really vary, some will say, just do what you need to do and send me the bill, others will tell you not to damage any other trees or the garden that was put in twenty years ago that is now completely lost in undergrowth. Me and my buddy that I cut with, we have a favourite saying, "showanai", it means what has resulted was nobody's fault. :lol:

Willie, after once pursuing it, when working at heights these days, it is by far crane aided work. I find that interesting and challenging enough to keep me connected to the general activity. I still have an interest, but scampering around in a tree on my own is in the rear view. The guy I mainly work with is a lot younger than me, he likes to climb. Otherwise, crane outfits call me up.

I wondered about that, too...seems like one or two re-directs with blocks might let you use a vehicle to pull.

It varies, but with a long enough rope and re-directs, pulling with a vehicle could certainly be an option at a lot of locations. We both have small 4x4 trucks. Worth experimenting, thanks!

Tie a log midline on the pull line. It will continue to pull toward the lay, until the log hits the ground.

How far away from a vehicle can it be? Multiple ropes connected with redirect blocks? How big of trees?

Can you rent a machine of any sort?

What is your local population like, out of curiousity?

P.S.

This weight in the middle of the pull line may be in Fundementals of General Treework. My copy is out on loan.

I saw a video of someone doing it a long time ago.

Back