Questions about being self employed/contract climber

Markets differ. If I was in business here in Texas, I would run my own show, period.

In Germany, there was a real market for production contract climbing. I made great coin.

Find the niche that fits your market. When you find that niche, hit it oh so hard!

For me it's when stress overwhelms me and it affects me even after I get off work. I'm so frazzled and tired and shot that it affects my quality of life. I don't mind the high stress work environment to an extent. I like a challenge, I like the risk, and I like taking down the trees considered difficult. It's when it wears through to the bone...often after really long days, and you don't have the mental capacity to fully deal with it anymore. And you're back up and at it, waking up at 5am to do it again the very next day.

This.

I just have other things in life I want to focus on other than this constant work grind. I love teaching tree climbing, so I want to get that business venture off the ground and running. Trained with Tree Climbers International to facilitate group climbs and one day I would love to teach people to climb on their own as a tree climbing instructor. And I love turning wood, might want to see if some money can be made there. And I want to travel more for outdoor recreation purposes, etc...
Mac, my advice to you is go for it! I'd rather squeak by doing something I love than making tons of money at something I loathe. I just came off a mountain in Wyoming with two guys that fit that to a tee. Both are 30 years old, one is a power lineman, the other an exec for Unisys. The Unisys guy had the finest Mathews bow money could buy, the best gear, the finest home, vehicle, you name it. He bragged about how much money he made and all the stuff he had. He also told us he was miserable and hated his job. The lineman who had a second hand bow and Walmart gear looked him in the face and said,"I'll never be a millionaire, but I love my job and I have a great life". I'd rather be him any day! You only get one shot at this life, make the most of it.

Do you find it more freeing or more stressful not being tied to an everyday, 5-6 day a week schedule?

I just have a bit of a problem with this.

Sure doesn't work that way in the world I live in.
Unless you like being skinny and poor, that is.

Am I reading that your just a bit burnt out at your present place of employment? Might just be worth a talk with the boss or a change of employment places.

It seems there is a confusion between career and hobbies. A career will support a hobby...but not always leave all the time for it you may like to have...

Make the hobbies pay for themselves and more, I think, before turning them into a career, and dumping the present one.

My best advice is join TCIA immediately, read through their resources and start to think like a business owner right from the start. Don't think like a climber, think like a guy that hires climbers.
Good luck!

jp:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the advice everybody. This is a great resource.
For now I'll just be sticking where I'm at and continuing to contemplate the next move. I hope to move to a 4 day 10 hour work week some time in the near future to have more free time to develop the climbing school and pursue woodturning. I liked what someone said about getting my hobbies and career mixed up. I know that's the truth! I have too many hobbies, and I would rather be doing those than being at work. So just maybe if I become more practiced at some of my other interests they will be able to pay for themselves and then pay part of the bills one day.

One can hope!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just have a bit of a problem with this.

Sure doesn't work that way in the world I live in.
Unless you like being skinny and poor, that is.

Well if ever there is a time in one's life to be skinny and poor, it's right now for me ;)

Back