best 3/8 lo pro chain

PCTREE

Treehouser
Whats the most aggressive 3/8 lo pro chain out there for use on climbing saws? I would love to find a semi skip full chisel chain if there is such a beast??

Most likely rapid super pico which is round chisel .

As far as skip in small guage chain you missed it by about 40 years .When most little saws used 1/4" chain Oregon had chisel in both full comp and skip tooth .It was fast .I ran it at the time on a Poulan S-25 .That little pea picker would out cut a 10-10 McCulloch using that chain ,true story .

Story goes that Ralph Nader had the little chisel chain taken off the market under the pretext it was unsafe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I currently run oregon 91vxl on our 200t and on a 50cc saw we use for crane removals. Do you think the Stihl Ps3 would be better??

I really hoped somebody would have a skip version as in the evenings I would rather sharpen the 046 with a 25" bar with full skip than a 200 with a 14"

Stihl chain is harder steel cutters if you are also looking for better edge holding, but maybe the long top plate on the Oregon is a trade off. Never seen skip or it's little brother with that sized chain. Probably a concern that the light chassis isn't up to managing skip.

Paul, even if there was a semi skip low pro chain, it would not be good for climb saws. Why? It would not be as smooth as full comp, and would be slower as well.

Skip configurations are best on long bars, for ease of chip clearance, and, as a side benefit, less cutters to file.

Stihl PS 3 chisel is what I use, along with Stihl semi chisel, which is smoother but of course slower cutting.

Stihl 63PS3 7.31 and 7.56

Oregon VXL 10.03 and 9.41

Times were taken on a 8x8 aspen cant. Clean as can be for unbiased strait cuts without knots etc on same saw. 35cc stock PP3516

Thats why i would like to change my 450p echo to 3/8 lp, i have .325 skip on it now and it does pretty good. But still think the LP would blast it out the water... Thanks for the numbers and the time on the comparisons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK so I have been running Oregon 91vxl on a 50cc saw and it seems to cut really well but I hate to have to sharpen it as there are so any cutters. Bottom line is Im lazy. Ordered a spool of 20jpx today which is a 325 full skip to put on the 50cc saws we use to start crane removals, will report back on how that goes.

Think I will be picking up some PS3 also for the 200t

I have used .325 full skip on 20" bar 45cc saw mm. It does good but im willing to bet Lp is faster. I will say the the skip is easier to sharpen. Lol

Now keep in mind with skip chain you might only have half as many cutters but it stands to reason it would need to be filed more often .

Coincidently just this evening I filed a 24" loop of full comp chisel,3/8" .It took me all of about 10 minutes .Big deal .

Agreed. I've heard of people running Lp on bigger saws with 28" b and c and nothing could touch it speed wise.

Thanks for the numbers and the time on the comparisons.

I have more chains tested that day in same wood and saw if needed to compare. In thread link but can copy paste them here.

To think about it. Think I have video of each chain and cut.

I made a loop of PS3 3/8LP picco for a stock 60cc to compare to full 3/8 for chits. Wish I had a good cant so I could get consistent wood. Will try with logs I have on hand.

White GB bar full 3/8 70dl, orange GB bar picco 68dl with 6T. 68 to short with 7T so went 70DL and tad long. 69dl with 7T would be perfect IMO.

pppicco 002.jpg pppicco 003.jpg gbbars 003.JPG gbbars 002.JPG

Thank you cut4fun, I need to figure out how to make my 450p 3/8lp. I would also love to see the comparison numbers...I posted on the forum about the 450p i like that site....:D

---only on small displacement saws .Regular 3/8" has a larger gullet there fore can hold a bigger chip before it rocks out .

There is a reason full 3/8 is used on 49cc under 3 cube racesaws. It is faster. I just wonder on a stock saw if 60cc will be to much for it to show no gains over full 3/8. I am betting the full 3/8's will out cut.

Now if it was on a stock 45cc I would lean toward the picco 3/8LP chain as I have tested 325 and full 3/8 on 45cc. 325 was better then due to being less power to pull full 3/8.

There is no skip chains sold here in Scandinavia unless imported privately.
.325 semi chisel dominate sales. Saws over 65cc using 3/8 all have chisel
3/8hobby chains is rarely used on saws over 40cc.

Back