first spurs/climbers?

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

Given that I can see a few ash removals (with help) in my future, I've been wearing out the Search box reading older threads on spurs--both for brand recommendations and an answer to the eternal "pole gaffs vs. tree gaffs" debate.

Keeping in mind that they would only get intermittent use, should I go with the cheapest (new) option (despite the fact that L-pads sound like they were invented by a medieval dungeon master) or splurge a little and go for something more like these?

Of course the MOST Scottish route (I can say that; my grandmother was a MacDonald!) is to be happy with pole gaffs and get one of the bazillion pairs of used linemen's spikes on fleaBay...

What do the TH Yodas think would be the wisest course?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're not kidding, man!

I'm "liquifying an asset" that's just collecting dust in the garage, plus I figure that super conservatively taking down these five trees would be at least $1500.

I think I can get pretty well equipped for a lot less than that! :lol:

You seem like you're already in it for the haul,i would spring for some good ones and not look back.

Spellfeller

I've got a pair of Buckingham steel gaffs with the longer tree spikes. Started out with the leather L pads. Soon switched to the Cadillac pads....and I'm happy I did.

TreeStuff can set you up with any combo you want. Just don't waste your money on the leather pads. I have a "like new" set of leather L pads collecting dust.

Joel

I bought a pair of steel kleins second hand, had some funked up profile, reshaped them, IMHO they work nice, in between pole and tree gaffs. I use the double size pads , and added a foot ascender. I have flatter feet, so my time on the spurs is like having my arches massaged. ( but I haven't been on them any longer than 6 hours, usually around the 2 to 4 hour range).

Never been rattled off my pole spikes, and find they are beer suited to working the small diameter stuff better. My .02

My first set were Bashlin aluminium, tapered...with L pads. They fit super comfortable right from the get-go
I now have Climb Rights with L pads...only reason my other ones are in a different country...I don't like the Climb Rights much, they do the job but not as secure.

I've always had tree gaffs, have no issues with them.

Never been rattled off my pole spikes, and find they are beer suited to working the small diameter stuff better. My .02

THIS!! Less torque on your knees and hips and ankles, too.

Thin bark trees are easier with pole gaffs in the thicker wood. Pole gaffs are good in small wood.

Wayyy easier to gaff yourself with tree spurs. Way!

Climbers fit different people differently. Any chance of trying some on?

Also some, like Bashlins, allow you to switch between pole and tree gaffs in minutes.

I also recommend trying them on,super wrap pads are decent,aluminum is going to be better than steel for fatigue. I cant say enough for the full support type like geckos,they really distribute the pressure well,but before I found that out i wore aluminum with wrap pads. But still would get chafe and markings from the pressure of my weight. I wear geckos now,the carbon ones actually,soo light.

Cadillacs here...very comfortable. I have only used tree spurs over the years...no problems. There have been a few punky trees where I think the extra length made a difference.

I think any top small enough where the length of the spur is going to make a difference for you at this point is going to be twisting your brain a lot. Small tops take a whole different mindset and a few tricks for good work positioning in my experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Caddilac pads are the best I've used .

I've got a pair of Buckingham steel gaffs with the longer tree spikes. Started out with the leather L pads. Soon switched to the Cadillac pads....and I'm happy I did. ...don't waste your money on the leather pads.

Lotsa love for Caddies! :thumbup:

I bought a pair of steel kleins second hand, ...in between pole and tree gaffs. I use the double size pads , and added a foot ascender.

Peter are your pads like THESE?

My first set were Bashlin aluminium, tapered...with L pads. They fit super comfortable right from the get-go
I now have Climb Rights with L pads...I don't like the Climb Rights much, they do the job but not as secure.
I've always had tree gaffs, have no issues with them.

Fiona, the L-pads don't hurt you? Maybe because you're "lighter than the average user"? :)

Never been rattled off my pole spikes, and find they are beer suited to working the small diameter stuff better.

THIS!! Less torque on your knees and hips and ankles, too.

Thin bark trees are easier with pole gaffs in the thicker wood. Pole gaffs are good in small wood.

Wayyy easier to gaff yourself with tree spurs. Way!

I'd rather avoid gaffing myself, Sean! Ugh! :O

Climbers fit different people differently. Any chance of trying some on?

Yessir, Merle! Given my proximity to the Candy Castle, I can try just about everything. I am incredibly lucky in that regard!

Also some, like Bashlins, allow you to switch between pole and tree gaffs in minutes.

Good to know. Thanks!

I also recommend trying them on,super wrap pads are decent,aluminum is going to be better than steel for fatigue. I cant say enough for the full support type like geckos,they really distribute the pressure well,but before I found that out i wore aluminum with wrap pads. But still would get chafe and markings from the pressure of my weight. I wear geckos now,the carbon ones actually,soo light.

Sweet, Griff! But I can't help feeling that (price aside) me in CF Geckos would be like Rosie O'Donnell wearing J-Lo's dress...

Cadillacs here...very comfortable. I have only used tree spurs over the years...no problems. There have been a few punky trees where I think the extra length made a difference.

I think any top small enough where the length of the spur is going to make a difference for you at this point is going to be twisting your brain a lot. Small tops take a whole different mindset and a few tricks for good work positioning in my experience.

Thanks, Gary!

Given all this advice, I'm thinking of buying some used pole spurs on the Bay and putting the savings towards some new Opsals...

Don't go cheap, get a good set. This is more important than a good saddle imo.

Back