GATOR HUNT 2015

As was said, native Americans much respected their elders, but if they were on the move or had to depart to a different location, and an elder was unable to keep up when travelling, I believe that they simply left them on their own to die. I don't know if it was a universal practice amongst the Indians, but I did read about it being a custom. No old folks teepee settlements, I guess reverence has to combine with practicality when living like they did. Perhaps some lesson in there for the people that like to think that it isn't just to let someone die when their time has come, better to hook them up to machines that long term prolong the misery and inevitable.

The plains indian led a very harsh life. Infant mortality was as high as 60 percent in various places. They were not terribly kind to each other either. The women and children were often driven out into the cold with the old people after a battle. The elders were too. There was not enough food to winter all those prisoners.

To survive in this country was no small feat. Some difficult choices had to be made.

Native American studies was a semester well spent for me. Too bad I did not get the chance to study the Eskimo, of which a quarter of my heritage comes from. If I ever find my birth mother I will have plenty of questions!

I wish. I'm not in the same league of outdoorsman as Ray. I'm a dabbler and have had no one to teach me.

I thought you BCers were just kinda born with the aptitude??

As was said, native Americans much respected their elders, but if they were on the move or had to depart to a different location, and an elder was unable to keep up when travelling, I believe that they simply left them on their own to die. I don't know if it was a universal practice amongst the Indians, but I did read about it being a custom. No old folks teepee settlements, I guess reverence has to combine with practicality when living like they did. Perhaps some lesson in there for the people that like to think that it isn't just to let someone die when their time has come, better to hook them up to machines that long term prolong the misery and inevitable.

A customer has loaned me a book, Two Old Women. They were left to die on winter. They fought to survive. I haven't had time to read it yet.

I thought you BCers were just kinda born with the aptitude??

Sure, but Rays taken it to the next level. Gators, elk, ocean, pack horses. Hell BC would be a walk in the park for him. I wonder how he handles snow and ice though? Lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure, but Rays taken it to the next level. Gators, elk, ocean, pack horses. Hell BC would be a walk in the park for him. I wonder how he handles snow and ice though? Lol.
Not worth a flip Squish! I hunted Illinois in January a few years ago and froze my butt off. I thinks it's still stuck to a tree stand about thirty feet up in a cottonwood north of Princeton. I did enjoy slipping around in the snow and seeing the fresh tracks and even tracking deer in it though. Crossed a picked corn field in 30+ mph winds and zero degrees with no head covering and my right ear hurt for days, mild frostbite maybe? I'm a warm weather warrior for sure, don't know how you guys take months of that kind of weather.

Ray, is this going to be the most "exotic", ya know, high end, special trip you've ever been on? Sounds like heaven for an outdoorsman.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is indeed Cory. Going over all my gear, checking my list, shooting my bow, the preparation and anticipation is fun too.

It's a funny thing about the cold and growing up in it, Ray. It isn't extreme here by any means when it comes to temps, but to me it gets cold. When I ask the locals which they prefer, the long months of snow and cold, or our short hot summer. they all say winter any day. Of course it isn't the only thing that they are strange about. :lol:

Back