GATOR HUNT 2015

So the reason for not using a gun is that they'll sink after being shot.
Like when the eskimos in Greenland harpoons a seal, and have a bladder attached to the harpoon to keep it from sinking.
Never woulkd have figured that, but then alligators are kinda scarce around here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Absolutely correct about the firearms, not nearly as sporting and you would lose many when they sank. Yes, exactly like the eskimos, but a few degrees warmer, not as much ice. A gentleman from Finland has hunted with me twice and said the same thing, pretty rare in his corner of the world as well. Then again, seals are pretty rare here too.

WTF Mick go top a tree or something. The thread is clearly labelled. So the bleeding hearts should start a different thread about the cruelty of mankind.

Thanks for sharing the pics Ray. Must be real nice when you get a cool client that you connect with.
:D
Justin, you've hinted at something here but never clearly stated what you're thoughts are, please expound;)

Nice gator Ray, if I ever get the traveling bug I'd love to get in that little skiff with you and terrorize those cute little gators!

Easy now Willie, poking me with a stick would be akin to..........poking a gator with a stick.:D

It'd better be sharp!

IMG_5127-2.jpg
Nice gator Ray, if I ever get the traveling bug I'd love to get in that little skiff with you and terrorize those cute little gators!

Thanks Willie. Nonresident licenses are pretty steep, over $1,000, but residents can get two tags for $276 and for another $50 anyone can fill those tags. That's usually what we do with those folks from out of state or country. It can get pretty wild, especially with one that wants to eat the boat (and you). My most memorable and rewarding hunt was taking this disabled vet. We had to really work hard to get it done with the wheelchair, but it was well worth it.

Then I'll get my passport and go terrorize Squishy! Bet Mick would come along for that!:/:

Then I'll get my passport and go terrorize Squishy! Bet Mick would come along for that!:/:

Heh I'd be happy to have yah, and Mick too.

It'd be cooler to meet up for a gator hunt though.

Ray, what a great thing to do for/with that man. I bet it was a real honour and meant a lot to him too.

It was a great honor Squish, and it took a couple of nights and a few misses to get it done. We ratchet strapped him to the bow of my boat and had to get everything just right. We finally went to a friend's house who had a gator terrorizing him and his dog, got this gentleman out on the end of a floating dock, called the gator up to point blank range and he made a great shot. That gator was a meanie and would come up and bite the dock inches from our feet and the dock was nearly submerged because of all the weight on it. He said later that if he hadn't had a bladder bag that he would've peed himself when that gator came up and "smiled at him" only inches from his feet! I don't think he'll ever forget it and I know I won't.

That is funny. My dad used to work closely with para's and quad's. It always amazed me the strength within people to,overcome adversity. Most people never know what they are actually capable of.

I found this interesting...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/exv6J0mUk5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Doc sent me a daytime pic of his lizard, I thought it showed him off well. I hope it doesn't offend anyone

Good thread, Ray.

Personally, I think this picture is much more, idk, appealing or complimentary, or appropriate. Pictures of gators or sharks etc suspended from forklifts/heavy machinery is kinda of barbaric or inhumane looking, the creatures sorta look like they are being lynched, imo. After all, they are tremendous products of evolution, their physical and sensory powers are stupendous, so they are deserving of respect, imo. Even if the hunter has good respect for his prey, a picture of the dead quarry might not convey that respect in some viewer's eyes.

If the population of gators is strong and the hunt is ethical, I say its all good. Though, as Jim says, "meat is a helluva thing."

Back