GATOR HUNT 2015

Limbrat

TreeHouser
Guided a fine southern gentleman doctor from Tallahassee on a gator hunt last night. Quite a character and quite a man of character, not to mention a good tipper. We not only had a great time, but I feel like I made a really good friend. I called up and "counted coup" on three other gators and he thought that was really cool. It was a beautiful night to be on the bay.
P9040143.jpg P9050150.jpg P9050151.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Jim, it's like bow fishing, you've got a line with a float on one end and the barbed point on the crossbow bolt on the other and you follow them and wear 'em down. This one was a heck of a fighter, it probably took the better part of an hour to get him boatside. You're right, the meat is very good, especially the smaller ones. This one will be good but it will take a little trimming and cubing to making best. My favorite way cook it is to soak it overnight in buttermilk and deep fry it... oo la la! Make you hurt yourself.

Right on Ray, thats a nice gator!

Id grill it and them make some boots out of em...lol ;)

Pleased you chose to make it suffer for a hour rather than despatch it quickly.
Big thrill for the two of you.

WTF Mick go top a tree or something. The thread is clearly labelled. So the bleeding hearts should start a different thread about the cruelty of mankind.

Thanks for sharing the pics Ray. Must be real nice when you get a cool client that you connect with.

WTF Mick go top a tree or something. The thread is clearly labelled. So the bleeding hearts should start a different thread about the cruelty of mankind.

Thanks for sharing the pics Ray. Must be real nice when you get a cool client that you connect with.

It's on a forum I'm a member of. I have a right to comment. Don't like it? Tough.

Same here. So you can deal with it too I suppose.

I very much enjoy seeing pics and reading about Rays gator hunts. Thanks again Ray.

I'd hate to be shot with an arrow and suffer for an hour, but that's hunting I guess.

I just stay out of these threads and you should too, Mick.

To each their own.

This ain't the politics, religion, or philosophy forum......it's the Rec Room. Where animals may be hunted, killed, and displayed.

:evil:

May one be allowed to ask what the purpose of using a crossbow, a weapon that went out of style about 5 centuries ago, is, without being labelled a " bleeding heart"?

They are actually illegal for use on game up here. They are supposed to give an advantage over a regular bow.

I knew a fellow who lost an arm and a foot in a linesman accident. He petitioned the state to let him use a cross bow during archery season. He could use a cross bow.

I dont recall if he was successful in his petition or not.

My last time was in broad daylight, going 90 MPH on the freeway.
Damned thing just about vaporized. I still feel silly about getting out and walking back to check if it was dead. It was spread out over 3 lanes.
My luck was that it was a roe deer, one of the larger varieties like fallow or elk and I probably wouldn't be here to tell the story.

It's amazing how in the South of England where I come from, the population of roe deer remains so healthy, such a large wild animal living cheek by jowl with humans. They've not yet mastered traffic yet sadly, both for them and the motorists.
During the day they just disappear.

94 actually: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1982/32360/waz_2107_lada_1500.html

My parents had one of these, of the first batch to be sold here. Dead solid car, but rode like a tractor.
All the instrumentation and owner's manual were in Cyrillic letters, so everything was a bit of guess work.

It is a pretty exact replica of a Fiat, inside and out, just made a bit more sturdy.

See TreeGongfu, I grew up in a commie car, so I can't be all bad!

Back then the Japs and Russkies would blatantly copi anything, like the Chinks do today.

In 66 or 7 my parents bought one of the first Toyota Coronas sold here ( Yes, they were always ready to try on new stuff). We took a trip to France and the damned thing started to sputter.
So we crawled into a small auto shop in a French village, and the mechanics looked at this strange new car and shrugged in the Gallic way..........sorry, we can't do anything with that.
Then one popped the hood, looked at the engine and said: "Ahh Opel!"
It was a copy of an Opel record engine, which they knew very well how to repair, of course.

I always wanted to get a Lada Niva, but never got one, so the closest to a commie vehicle I've owned was an East German MZ ES trophy 250 motorcycle.
Sorry to bust your bubble.
I drive a piece of German engineering and so does my wife.
VW rules.

Think we have derailed the gator hunt far enough?:lol:

From alligators to east german motorcycles in 6 hours.
Only in the Treehouse!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
May one be allowed to ask what the purpose of using a crossbow, a weapon that went out of style about 5 centuries ago, is, without being labelled a " bleeding heart"?
You certainly may Stig, glad you asked. The state of Florida specifies how alligators can be hunted. There are three legal methods, a hand drawn bow, a crossbow and a harpoon. It's also legal to snatch hook them with a rod and reel. This gentleman is 71 and his shoulder will no longer allow him to draw a bow, hence the crossbow. You cannot shoot them with a regular firearm but must be dispatched at the boat with a bangstick (powerhead) or you could get over and choke them out I guess if you were so inclined. As for the suffering of this animal Mick, give me a break. A guy who brutally dismembers trees on a daily basis with something as inhumane as a chainsaw and then throws them through a chipper and you have the nerve to talk about an alligator being legally hunted, eaten and every part utilized?

Back