GATOR HUNT 2015

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're right about the sensory powers Cory. That ability to sense and feel the presence of an approaching boat, no matter how small, quiet or stealthy has frustrated us and saved a bunch of them. Sometimes one will "feel" you and with some calling, become convinced you are another gator and bow up for a fight, but usually they just sink, swim off and lay on the bottom for an hour.
Thanks for the advice on the pictures Cory, I value your opinion and will keep that in mind. I'm surprised no one asked what "counting coup" on an alligator was all about.

Just my opinions but I'm honored you take an interest.

Cool thumbnail sketch of some of their powers! Imagine laying on the bottom for an hour in the mud, chilling. That is a super power!:lol:

Ok, I'll bite, :lol: what did you mean by counting coup, I googled it, still not sure

I'm glad you finally asked! Counting coup was something most notably practiced by native Americans in the west, the Sioux in particular. The bravery of an individual was measured in part by his ability to slip into the enemy's camp and get into a position to kill a particular person but not do it. Instead he would simply touch them and escape unharmed, sometimes leaving something of his and taking something of the enemy's. Counting coup on a gator involves calling him to the boat and reaching over and touching or punching him on the head. Could've gotcha but didn't. When you touch them, they explode and usually wet everyone in the boat. It's pretty impressive for first time hunters, fools 'em into thinking I know what I'm doing!:lol:

Wow that is nuts! Must be a crazy rush!

Ha! Same here...Louis Lamour books were awesome. Braves would do the same on horseback...ride up, use a stick or club to touch an enemy without killing them. It showed their prowess.

Jeez, guys.
I knew about that back when I was a kid.
Had a period where I read everything I could find about the Plains indians.
I first started reading Louis Lamour when I Cowboyed in Idaho in 81/2

Hey Jimbo did you ever click on those buffalo links I posted in your thread awhile back, interested to know what you think of them. Thanks

Yes I did Cory. Honestly I have been thinking about it every day. Not just the buffalo, buffalo not being a perfect fit for my operation at the moment, but my entire cattle/grain operation and how the "new" practices might be a great benifit to our operation.

I am kinda in the Norman Bourlaug camp presently, but we are exploring different methods of farming and raising cattle in a symbiotic fashion.

I apologize not getting back to you sooner, but this is kind of a crossroads for me and my family.

I am researching some prices right now and will have a "report" to present the interested members soon.

For twenty years, Dan O’Brien battled drought, overgrazed pastures, and falling cattle prices as he struggled to maintain his cattle ranch, The Broken Heart, nestled at the foot of South Dakota's Black Hills. Having to take stints as an endangered species biologist, English teacher, and handyman to help pay off his accumulating debts, he questioned the logic of this losing enterprise, but never lost his fierce love of the Great Plains. So when a neighboring buffalo rancher invites him to lend a hand at the annual buffalo roundup, O’Brien comes face to face with these mammoth, impressive creatures, and the seeds are planted for converting his own ranch from cattle to buffalo. Starting with thirteen calves, "short-necked, golden balls of wool," O’Brien embarks on a journey that returns buffalo to his land for the first time in more than a century and a half.

That is a synopsis of one of 2 books O'Brien has written about buffalo ranching. Here's a synopsis on the other one:

Wild Idea is a book about how good food choices can influence federal policies and the integrity of our food system, and about the dignity and strength of a legendary American animal. It is also a book about people: the daughter coming to womanhood in a hard landscape, the friend and ranch hand who suffers great tragedy, the venture capitalist who sees hope and opportunity in a struggling buffalo business, and the husband and wife behind the ranch who struggle daily, wondering if what they are doing will ever be enough to make a difference. At its center, Wild Idea is about a family and the people and animals that surround them—all trying to build a healthy life in a big, beautiful, and sometimes dangerous land.

The books are "A Wild Idea," and "Buffalo for the Broken Heart." I haven't read either one of them yet but I want to. Idk, I'm just mentioning these books in case you might be interested.

I think it is awesome you are exploring different ideas, Big Jim.:thumbup:

Sorry for the derail Ray, I shoulda put this in Jim's thread.

No, it fits in just fine Cory. Anyway, it's okay for one family member to interrupt another even if it didn't fit.
:P I LIVE in Indian Country.
If I lived in another place Jim, it would be either the west or Alaska, so at certain times, (not winter) I'm a little envious. The American Indians and their way of life has always fascinated me too Stig. Many tribes lived very noble but sometimes brutal lives. They had great admiration for their elders and held them in very high regard, something that has been lost in modern society, to our own detriment I might add. They also respected and reverenced the animals they killed to support their families. I wish there was more recorded history for the Indians that lived here in the south. I see some of the evidence they left in shell piles and pottery, but not much else.

Interesting indeed Cory. There are a lot of positive things going on right now.
BTW, the real money is in goats! The only problem is that you cant go to coffee and talk about yer goat herd.

I see some of the buffalo information as being a pretty shameless self promotion. Nothing wrong with that. The industry deserves to thrive. I just think that the us vs them mentality as being a detriment. Works for cattle that way too though.

Yeah, they marched the wild ones off to Montana Willie! Interesting place out here.

You better take that back Ray. I bet you would get tired of eating frozen salmon and canned tuna after a while. I apologize for the derail too. I love getting a glimpse into life in Florida.

Lord willing, I'm going to be south of you in Wyoming next week Jim. It will be my first look at Wyoming and Colorado and I'm pumped.

Lord willing, I'm going to be south of you in Wyoming next week Jim. It will be my first look at Wyoming and Colorado and I'm pumped.

I'm born and raised in Colorado.. My Dad still lives out there. You going to Colorado springs by chance? Have some friends in Casper Wyoming too.. You will enjoy the country and mountain views I'm sure.If you want any info on hot spots in Co I can try to point you in some good directions if your interested
Aaron

I'm born and raised in Colorado.. My Dad still lives out there. You going to Colorado springs by chance? Have some friends in Casper Wyoming too.. You will enjoy the country and mountain views I'm sure.If you want any info on hot spots in Co I can try to point you in some good directions if your interested
Aaron
Actually going on a wilderness bow hunt for elk out of Baggs, we will be packing in on horseback and hunting the high country for five days. I've been training climbing sand hills and running but I know the only way to acclimate to the thin air is to be there. Thanks very much for the offer though Aaron, mighty nice of you!

What is the difference between a crocodile and an alligator? :?
I know crocs are supposed to be more tolerant of saltwater but most of the areas we hunt are around islands and passes into the Gulf. There are a lot more gators in the freshwater areas, but we consistently take the bigger ones in the bay. There are some at Dog Island that most likely haven't tasted freshwater since they were hatchlings, one very aggressive 9 footer has harassed me there on a couple of occasions while wading and throwing a cast net. He needs to be taken out but I'd like to give him a couple more growing seasons.

Whoa that sounds like a hella trip, Ray! Wow!

We be gonna need some serious pics and details from that trip. Bastid!

Back