Portable Winches?

I own one. Cannot say enough good things about it.
Sometimes it sits around unused for a month or longer, but then starts on first pull.
Recommend you get the tree mount kit for it. Spendy, but helps keep the unit level.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did it. Always wanted one and I've been on the fence for months, but a job I have coming up just screams for one. I went whole hog on the tree mounting kit as well. Figure I can set a nice straight on line angle to a redirect and work from there.

I'm glad you've had good luck with yours, it was a chunk of change, for me anyways.

Cheers!

Congrats!
One thing that will drive you bonkers is having the rope entangle itself into a nightmare on the drum. Easily happens if momentary slack in the line occurs whilst winching. Be vigilant!
I've used that winch on two occasions to get my chipper (Bandit 65) pulled back up a long steep backyard slope that the miniskid couldn't manage without extra help.

A buddy has one - hasn't used it for about 15 years.
1. very heavy (his is attached to an old 066)
2. a real PITA to unwind (free spool) the cable sometimes, depending on how well the cable previously spooled onto the drum.

Thanks, that's what I thought. The PWC5000 looks like something that I would want in a winch.

May be my next big purchase as well.

So here she is. Maybe in like a year I'll have enough time on it to give a review. Quality seems excellent, it was easy to set up and use. Mobil 1 and Tru Fuel and off she went. 8)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Ysvy02VZOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GOPR0157.jpg

Cheers

nice pice of kit there grendal!!
I can see that thing coming in handy in some situation's.
truck mount would be cool too sometimes you got to make your own redirect.
does that have more then one speed?
thanks for putting in time to make that vid.
I been thinking of putting a winch on my truck[winter project]

Hey sawman, you have a full range on the throttle, but the gearbox is set. You can get a bigger drum, which reduces capacity, but increases pull speed. I got the post so I can stick it in the Reese receiver on the pickup too. . .

I've used one that I purchased for a friend here to pull logs up an incline. Somewhere it was already discussed at the forum. i thought that Willie was familiar with it too, but maybe he was just talking about using a nose cone. Good product. I don't think that the bigger drum would be very purposeful for tree work.

A large drum could be useful for yarding large brush piles up a skyline/ uphill speedline. Lower weight than logs.

So where did you end up picking it up from, if you don't mind me asking? And yes, if you are going to skid logs, you can't beat the yellow nose cones.

Morning Chris,

They drop ship from wherever you order them. I got mine at Northern Tool, but it shipped from Canada/VT.

Picked up a skidding cone as well.

On harder ground if you attach to the log a lot towards the front, I don't think the cone is much needed. We were pulling up a hill in fairly soft ground without a cone, and the edge of the log would sometimes dig in. No cone, bring a spade. I recall that someone that had used that winch a lot and was posting at the forum, advised against getting the cone for some reason. Perhaps it doesn't hold up?

Might have been me that posted some cone negativity.
The cone has a tendency to slide off the end of the log when you are winching on any kind of a downhill grade. Or level ground, for that matter.
If I'm winching up a bank with stumps or large rocks, I usually attach the winch line to the middle of the log, which lets the log pivot around the obstruction.
In the winter, with deeper snow, the cone really shines though.
Setting a redirect block decently high up a tree is key to making the winching op go easier.

I figured the cone would be of some use in the sandy conditions around here, and during the winter as well. Maybe help when I'm one manning the logs off the grass and into the woods. It seems like it's made out of the same plastic you see in playground equipment and is fairly heavy duty. Seems sturdy enough, but if not, no harm.

It is a durable piece of kit.
Bear in mind that although it will accommodate a decent size log, it is only so big (~20"dia), so if you are frequently into larger wood, you are gonna have to taper the end of the log to get the cone to fit.

Yeah, I'll probably seldom use the cone, but like I said, around here we have a lot of up and down dune type of topography down near the lake. I have a feeling it will come in handy when there is a lot of grade change during the drag, down into an up and such.

I believe with that winch there is a cautionary about having your winch line go up at an angle above the winch. I wondered if it stresses the capstan shaft, or what the concern is. Remember to change the oil. I've pulled back leaning trees with a gasoline engine winch, not that one, but that's how i crushed a roof on an expensive new house. :dontknow: That ended the practice.

Ha, thanks Jay. First oil change is at ten hours. Every fifty thereafter. Probably just do it annually, as getting fifty hours is unlikely.

They do caution against vertical lifting (without the right attachments), and pulling at sharp downward angles when using the hitch plate. I'll mean to set multiple re-directs for pulling and/or lifting, which should mitigate both issues.

How did you loose the back-leaner, if you don't mind my asking?

Cheers!

Lose vs loose....spelling Nazi here. I figure you mis-typed...anybody that can use mitigate in a sentence probably knows the spelling difference there.

:D

Back