Stand Up Paddling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Although, hows it gonna look when I go apply for food stamps next week with a new SUP board on top of the car?

Just say it belongs to a friend!

For sure!

Aw hell that's the way most folks do it anyway, no??

Or remove the fin, get the thing a little dirty, and just say it is a cover for a water trough. Or, there's always the ol reliable, 'I found it at the dump.' "Now gimme dem food stamps, I need more Old Milwaukee"

If it rains someday, I might could afford one.
I wish I could send you some Jim. The bay went from gin clear to coffee in the last few days.

Glad to see you back out on the water Cory. It's cool that you can paddle in only 3 or 4 inches. I imagine without a skeg it would float on a heavy dew but would probably be pretty hard to control. Have you ever tried it without the fin?

Hopefully I can get back on the water in a few days, got my outboard swapped out, found out the fuel pumped is seized up on one I just put on the boat.

It's cool that you can paddle in only 3 or 4 inches. I imagine without a skeg it would float on a heavy dew but would probably be pretty hard to control. Have you ever tried it without the fin?

I have tried it without the fin, and sho enuff, it's hard to go straight without it.Putting your weight forward has always worked well for those shallow stretches. As you know the fin is easily removable with a screwdriver if needed but have you tried the tool-less removable fin? It just presses in and pulls out. I think they are great when transporting more than 1 board cuz the boards stack easier and then reinstalling the fin at the water's edge is a 3 second affair.

Yes it is quite simple and same cost, I believe, as a screw in type.

Went out again tonite, maybe 5 miles in calm water from off shore breeze. Lots of fish (bunker/menhadden) breaking all over the place in the fairly industrial harbor. A wading fisherman caught a 17 lb striper.

Summer is indeed here, at last. No complaints!

Went out again tonite, maybe 5 miles in calm water from off shore breeze. Lots of fish (bunker/menhadden) breaking all over the place in the fairly industrial harbor. A wading fisherman caught a 17 lb striper.
5 miles is a pretty good workout Cory and that's a nice striper. Maybe you should troll as you paddle.
Those big schools of menhaden here mean one thing for sure - sharks and plenty of them. There is no more surefire way to catch big sharks than fish the menhaden (locally called pogies or alewives) schools. When my son and daughter paddle in the bay, they avoid menhaden schools like the plague. I used to cast net and sell them but it's hard to throw a net in a school without catching a shark nowadays. They can destroy an expensive cast net in two seconds or less.

Wow, that is interesting! Any particular kind of shark you tend to get in the menhaden schools? Here, blue fish and stripers like them.

MB, sup on lakes is very cool.

Lotta hard core guys now are into running river rapids on inflatable sups.

Thats right, you'll hit him with your paddle

Wow, that is interesting! Any particular kind of shark you tend to get in the menhaden schools? Here, blue fish and stripers like them.
Every inshore shark from bulls to blacktips along with tarpon and big jacks. I love fishing those schools, the sight and sound of hundred pound plus sharks and tarpon crashing and somersaulting all around the boat just gets me pumped.

Good lord , gets me pumped reading about it!! You Floridians, sheesh!!

I am worried that if someone saw my floating around in a kayak that they might try to dart me and take me back to the zoo.

Bear in a boat sort of thing.

Gawd I do want one though.

No idea how I would buy it though. I don't reckon I could run It through the bank as a business expense.

they might try to dart me and take me back to the zoo.

No idea how I would buy it though. I don't reckon I could run It through the bank as a business expense.

That was good! :lol:

You do all this natural resources work, the kayak is part of it. Biz expense imo.

Do they make a kayak/ stand up board/whatnot?

Standup paddling, then sit down paddling?

A hybrid?
I strap a small cooler on mine then just sit down if I want. You can paddle that way to. Gotta have place for cold beverage, bait and fish.

It sounds like fun, but I'd hate to be in direct sunshine for sure.

When it is crazy hot out is the best for SUP. Of course cover up with a hat and sleeves and sun screen if you prefer, but falling in or jumping in to stay happy and cool is awesome.

Back