Stand Up Paddling

I've seen them a couple of times. When I took the fairy to and from the queen Charlottes one of the ways we had a pod of them swim with the ferry for awhile. Pretty cool.

Using my otherworldly Google powers, I have deduced that human death from a killer whale attack in the wild has never been documented.

They have killed several people while in captivity though. Bastids!

Watch Blackfish if you get chance, very illuminating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn Squish, you've had all the cool sightings.

Peter, Im not sure I have the stomach for blackfish, apparently a lot of unhappy highly intelligent orcas in captivity, according to the movie

Around here, the word sometimes spreads about a pod swimming hear or there, so that neighbors can also have a look. A lot of high shoreline (like 60-80') to see from. I have a custy who needs the steep slope's alder population adjusted very soon.

Up in the San Juan Islands, out in the Puget Sound, they have a hydrophone http://www.orcasound.net/ run by a long-time State Park volunteer, and they broadcast it on a little radio station at Lime Kiln State Park.

http://www.thesanjuans.com/san-juan-island-places/sanjuan-parks-forest/lime-kiln-state-park.shtml

This link is about the documented history of Orcas assisting shore based whalers, mainly by signalling that target whales were near the coast. The orcas would feed on the tongues of the caught whales, this was their payment for services rendered. I'm pretty sure that the most famous of the Orcas named Tom, was in fact stabbed by a local after being beached on the shore.

http://www.killersofeden.com/Export2.htm

I did a lot of SUP'g this summer, it is crazy fun and intense workout if you want it to be.

Here's a cool vid of an SUP master tearing it up.8)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ax0aA0lSzHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aw yeah!

Sit on top would be great for you. perfect way to cool off and have fun in hot weather.

I am really interested in how quiet it would be.

Back in my bachelor days I would spend weeks without talking to anyone, cept the dog. Good listener, not much of a conversationalist.

I miss those days. Maybe an early morning on the water listening to the birds and such would be good.

Absof'g lutely. It's quiet. And its simple.

Glad you liked it, Ray.

I went out last weekend, did the whole wetsuit thing just to try going out it in relatively cold weather...it wasn't nearly as fun as in shorts and tee shirt in the sunny sunshine:|:

I am really interested in how quiet it would be.

Back in my bachelor days I would spend weeks without talking to anyone, cept the dog. Good listener, not much of a conversationalist.

I miss those days. Maybe an early morning on the water listening to the birds and such would be good.

The ultimate board for Jim, holds well over 400lbs no problem, paddles like a dream

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5v5IMRMq5do" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So Gawt damn, I finally got out a few times lately. Last week went out for a quick hour ride with the fam, my back was all messed up from who knows what so it had to be a mellow sesh. Then today I went out at 6pm to a small, local, calm estuary that I wanted to check out. It was fun and beautiful sea grass shore scenery but very shallow and low tide also. An SUP only draws about 3-4" of water when you move to the front some to lift the rear fin out of the water, so it was NP. But the shallowness prevented me from pulling hard so on way home I stopped at a beach on LI Sound and put in there for an hour trip out into the wind and then down wind/some surfing on the way back. There was one sail boat out there as far as the eye could see.

I scratched the itch, for now.

Just putting this out there should there be any like minded water/exercise/nature/fun addicts reading

Geez rewatching the above vid for the fishing board, IDK how Jim resists that board, it seems custom made for his burly frame and mindset.

Ah come on big fella, you know as well as I do you have enough right now in your envelope stashed in the shop somewhere to go out tomorrow and buy one. I swear there is something to this sup thing. If a person likes kayaking, and who doesn't, a sup is so much more versatile, interesting, and engaging.

You could take the kids and dog on it too. You could get a bunch of thinking done on it instead of getting it all done in the combine.

I hear ya on saving money here and there. I do the same thing as do most of us. But sometimes if you happen upon something new and different which can periodically help put some perspective on life, maybe make your down time/recreation time more rewarding than usual, then you can make your uptime/work time mo betta too.

Back