This is the Akimbo

OMG, how did I miss this thread!

super nice Jamie, cant wait to see this being used SRT!!

My buddies was just in the Hospital down in Portland. I suppose, now that he's back up here, it would look pretty bad if I went down there, after not having visited him. :(

Are you going to send one over for us Euro types to try out?

Somehow it seems that all the REALLY interesting developements are happening in America.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A European perspective could be very valuable. What I reall need is a way to rapid prototype small batches. As it is I'm really limited by how long it takes to make changes and parts etc. reall starting to think about investing in something like shopbot desktop cnc router.

What does domething like that cost.
If enough of us pre-ordered and pre-paid Akimbos, would that help?

Super! the video was really interesting, good information there of where you are at, and where you want to go.

So far the purely mechanical SRT devices have not sold me yet...yours is looking good to beat the record. Can't wait to hear the reviews, I remember when Paul was refining the HH, how interesting the prototype testers comments were.

The pictures for size perspective were good. The Akimbo is compact!

Just a quick report. We have about four hours of testing on a half dozen different ropes. I was on the ground watching Robert zip around the tree, which. . . well, he kinda does that anyway no matter what the device. Then we talked to Jaime via speakerphone for quite awhile about minute details. Conclusion at this point from us here in Portland is that this is the best device we've seen so far. A second take-a-way for me personally is, Man. . . this thing is only getting started.

I will try to put together some more thoughts tomorrow night.

IMG_5021.jpg

Been away for a few days and just caught the video. I wasn't sure how it adjusted for rope size, that adjustable eccentric shaft is a stroke of genius Jamie. Can't wait for more reports. Looks like you are on the verge of something great.

Probably there will never be a "best" mechanical device, just like there is no best friction hitch nor friction cord. Just perpetual evolution.:thumbup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if the cam pin will wear, and if it fails, what will happen?

i foresee the holes wearing out before the pin does. the pin is carbon steel and the sides are aluminum. if either failed as it is now you would go for a ride. how fast i dont know. a more secure setup would be to eliminate the tool-less adjusting arms and wrench the allen screws tight. you would need an allen key for adjustments but the bolt would back up the pin securely.

i foresee the holes wearing out before the pin does. the pin is carbon steel and the sides are aluminum. if either failed as it is now you would go for a ride. how fast i dont know. a more secure setup would be to eliminate the tool-less adjusting arms and wrench the allen screws tight. you would need an allen key for adjustments but the bolt would back up the pin securely.

what happens with one arm in place but not the other?

Those pins look small, but carbon steel is strong. I wonder about shock loads. Does one arm hold more load than the other?

Back