This is the Akimbo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How expensive is this tool you need, a computer controlled router, or whatnot?

about $6500! http://www.shopbottools.com/mproducts/desktop.htm

ive had some interest from gear manufacturers lately, well see what comes of that. partnering with a company makes a lot of sense to me. it would make testing and certification a lot smoother for sure, as well as providing access to manufacturing techniques i just dont have.

by the way, i got all the washers i ordered, and after seeing so many comments against clips and pins, and after hammering the shit out of some pin assemblies, im going to put bolts on these two units before i send them out. i want you guys to feel safe, and those spiral clips require very tight tolerances to work correctly. my shop just isnt equipped for that kind of accuracy. i was able to find normal shoulder bolts for $.50 a piece. i just have to grind the heads down 1/16" to flush fit them.

So, like I've suggested before, if 65 of us send you $100 each as payment towards a future Akimbo, to be deducted from the price of the unit when we get it, you could start production.

I'll start up by signing me and Richard up.

That is the first 200 bucks.

We are usually REAL good at raising money here, let us try to get this one going, what say y'all?

I think you're smart to partner with a manufacturer Jaime. That's a whole world of business that seems like there would be quite a learning curve and hate to loose the original product in the process I would think. Can or have you spoken with Kevin Bingham? He's been in a similar situation; I would think ISC or DMM would do great things with your AKIMBO. Hope it soars.

jp:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you guys are willing to take the risk that this project will work out, I can't say no. I would be inclined to give some sort of discount to anyone who contributes and in the event of a partnership or licensing agreement I would do my best to get you a manufactures version. For me at this point not having a small cnc machine isn't going to stop me, it's just going to speed up the process of fine tuning as well as being awesome for the next project. Whatever that may be. My plan at this point is still to have a batch machined this month. I will then have really nice units to start informal testing on and possibly get more into hands, here and abroad. Of course, untill they are formally tested anything I send out is a prototype and will come with a waiver as such. I'm new to this part, bear with me. I really appreciate the goodwill and support of this site. Thank you guys!

You can count me in for seed money too, Jaime. I have a few hundred that needs spending...if not on you (wiser, no doubt), then on the Jag (dumber, also no doubt :)).

In total, here, were closing in on $2k. People on TB spoke up on seed money, too.

Let us know.

One thing that Reg stated in a video, "its better to be a small part of something big, than a big part of something small".

I can understand an individualistic stance, for sure. I think that the pro manufacturers are a great resource, potentially. Hope you hear some good stuff from them, and get insight from Kevin, Reg, Paul, et al.

Back