This is the Akimbo

.... i would love to hear suggestions if anyone has them. there must be a good, affordable option.

I can't wait until I can hold and fiddle with this tool rather than just look a pictures but some things that come to mind would be to see if a simple and inexpensive bushing could replace the need for a shoulder bolt. You might even be able to spec some rivets that would get the job done.

My respect for the cadre of inventors here has just gone sky-high, all the men who have designed and brought to market devices to make our work easier sharing info and tips with honesty and candour...love it! :)

we will see. i ordered some tight tolerance washers from mcmaster. should be here Wednesday. i like bolts too, but the problem is the pivot pins on the spine are only 3/8" long. in order to countersink the inner face requires a low profile shoulder bolt and at $12 each x 4 per akimbo its just not worth it. i think the clevis pins will work for now, they are easy to inspect, and because the head is on the inside they cant fall out even if the clip somehow breaks or comes loose.

You make me feel alot more comfortable about it in this statement,can't wait for production!! Im sold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't wait until I can hold and fiddle with this tool rather than just look a pictures but some things that come to mind would be to see if a simple and inexpensive bushing could replace the need for a shoulder bolt. You might even be able to spec some rivets that would get the job done.

soon. im waiting for the washers to arrive. hopefully they get here tomorrow!

Glad you chimed in, Kevin.

I just used my ZK1 Sunday, for two SRT systems. I never have tried the ZK2. I imagine that the experienced designers at ISC helped the process, and know the tricks of the design trade. You've presumably spent a lot of different resources getting your devices made, so I wouldn't blame a guy to keep cards held close. That's all.

I second rivets!!! Shoot they build motorcycle chains with them that handle hundreds of horse power and abuse. PIA to get set up with tools but very cheap in the long run and IMO are totally acceptable.

One of my first designs of Wraptor used a 3/8 16 left hand thread nut, Now that sucker was expensive!!! Designed that out with a C-clip however it is not exposed so satisfactory in the application. Any idea how much you got into the project thus far? Took me about $70k to get the Wraptor to market, lot of stupid nieve avenues I took. Almost lost the house because of it......

Jaime, I don't know what the cost of the allen head bolt/nylock setup on the one you sent me is, but I liked that just fine, looked nice to my eye, substantial, confidence-making. I'd buy one that way any day.

In fact, if the only choice you gave me to buy one was with the pins/clips, I'd be off to the hardware store to replace them first thing, grumbling some on the way...just sayin' ;).

BTW, your return mailing by USPS went out today. Expect delivery Friday. Tracked and insured, so if you have any issues, let me know...and if you want to track it yourself, I can provide that number any time. Thanks so much, I'm really impressed. Looking forward to trying the revised Akimbo when DMc gets through with it.

ah, i believe there is some confusion here. your talking about the bolts holding the cam and rollers. those bolts are fairly cheap at ~$2 each. what im talkong about are the bolts on the spine, the phillips head ones. i dont like the two fastener solution ive been using there and want something stronger and more secure in future. the best options seem to be shoulder bolts or clevis pins. rivets could work but i dont have the tools. going strictly by strength, clevis pins come out on top. however, im always looking for ways to improve the design.

Well, I'm good at doing confusion, sometimes bringing it to the level of high art :).

Wish I had the beastie in hand to compare memory vs. old pics vs. new pics.

Carry on...I'm sure you'll get it right, no doubt.

But lose those spring clips, eh? :D.

Jaime,
First, congrats on Owen!

Second, I have been away from the House for quite a while.
What an exciting thread and device!
I'd like to be added to the Guinea Pig Testers List, please.

As one of the 'Dirty 30' who put up money to assist Kevin to produce and test his first run of RopeRunners, I am totally willing to throw in the funds to help you defray costs. Let me know (and I'd bet others here would do the same!). I also have a friend who is a patent attorney, though I think I saw earlier in the thread that you have a patent application in already?

Jerry, I still have my LineBoss. It is a pretty (heavy 1.088 lbs) device. (Richard Everett, the father of the person producing it was the inventor of Kool Stop brake pads for bicycles. Back when I owned two bicycle shops I was his first customer on the East Coast.) The son and I connected at a TCIA conference and he sent me one at a reasonable cost. It is seldom used, and yet does run nicely on a wide variety of ropes. A large cam running against a sealed bearing allows for feathering your descent with great control.

LineBoss.JPG

Good to read you, Pat. Terri keeps up with your goings on with face book. I'm sure you're aware. Anyway, would it be possible to get some photos of the Line Boss, open, on line, closed. et cetera..

I may have a good use for them later on in another project I'm thinking about. Thank you

Jerry,
Yes, indeed. It is a nice piece from my collection.
Are you contemplating doing a history of climbing gear?
I'll gladly loan it to you, - as your photographs would be head and shoulders above anything I might provide.

Yes, Pat, I'm leaning towards that direction, as well as for Jamie's and Paul's innovations, and many others that have been developed and continue to be developed.

It's a good thing to do, I think.

the circles are holes to drill, the cross hairs are to help me get my punch centered. i drill all the holes in steps. the picture is before the last drill step. the smallest ones in an arc are for the adjustment positions.

Yo, Jaime...that mailing from me found you yesterday or today, I hope. If not, let me know and I'll pursue it from this end.

Back