This is the Akimbo

The use of retaining rings really cleans up the looks, nice. Have you calculated the ring shear and groove thrust load capacity and how that compares to other fasteners?

My first thought would be acorn type bolt and locked nut, next, I'd be inclined to use a coiled type retaining ring, but I tend to over build.

Spirolox Internal 2 Turn Retaining Ring.jpg

Never mind, beat me to the post. :D

An electric motor shop could supply such washers, I use them for shims in sleeve bearing motors.

Yeah, I recoiled at the C clips. Only unit with a pin in life support I liked was the klimair, key ring through the hole.
Those spiral rings would certainly make me feel better than the C clips.

I agree. Nylock nuts look crude but they sure are secure. On life support one time use only of a nylock nut. Please note that many manufacturers of the rope grabs continue to use nylock nuts on bolts despite good reputations, large market share for their products, and many options when it comes to securing pins in their products. I personally would probably be ok with clevis pins and the multi ring clips through a hole with a precision stainless washer back up. Pretty hard to unwind one of those multi wraps wire clips through a hole. Carry on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
we will see. i ordered some tight tolerance washers from mcmaster. should be here Wednesday. i like bolts too, but the problem is the pivot pins on the spine are only 3/8" long. in order to countersink the inner face requires a low profile shoulder bolt and at $12 each x 4 per akimbo its just not worth it. i think the clevis pins will work for now, they are easy to inspect, and because the head is on the inside they cant fall out even if the clip somehow breaks or comes loose.

There was a device called the 'Line Boss'. I seen it at a TCI show about 5 years ago. Beautiful workmanship. The manufacturer made many design changes in it. But apparently it never flew. Anybody here ever seen, or heard of anyone using the line boss?

we will see. i ordered some tight tolerance washers from mcmaster. should be here Wednesday. i like bolts too, but the problem is the pivot pins on the spine are only 3/8" long. in order to countersink the inner face requires a low profile shoulder bolt and at $12 each x 4 per akimbo its just not worth it. i think the clevis pins will work for now, they are easy to inspect, and because the head is on the inside they cant fall out even if the clip somehow breaks or comes loose.
Have you priced them in bulk rather than the local hardware?

No problem with the bolts and nylock nuts for me so far as security/safety, and in fact, I like them far better than the pins with clips or rings. They didn't strike me as awkward appearing at all. But that's just one man's opinion re the appearance.

Under no circumstances would I recommend using the clips. Even with a coat of epoxy...remember one of those other earlier devices???:).

I tried to get one. They never replied that was back in 2008. It was stout durable looking tool. Was that in Providence Jerry? I kinda remember we were set up beside you.
Any ways it looked good but for some reason never got much headway

As usual I tend to agree with Burham. Though the clips look lovely and would no doubt be economical, I would be surprised if they will pass the strength and security needs of a life support device. I may change my mind after playing with the device but don't bet on it. The best solution will become apparent in time.

its really interesting hearing your perspectives on fasteners. my cnc/mechanical engineer friend is the one who steered me towards clevis pins. the way i had it previous with a screw post and countersunk flathead bolt worked, but it wasnt optimal either. like i said, perfect world would be a shoulder bolt and nylock, but that would cost $50 per unit. i want this thing to be somewhat affordable, ideally under $400 :|:. i would love to hear suggestions if anyone has them. there must be a good, affordable option.

Have you been in touch with Reg about his experience with Stein? In a way, Kevin is the competition, and may not want to give away hard earned info.

No, I haven't talked to reg. I don't think of kevin as competition, but I wouldn't expect him to reveal all his secrets either. Finding the hardware is not the problem. The problem is sourcing it at an affordable price.

There was a device called the 'Line Boss'. I seen it at a TCI show about 5 years ago. Beautiful workmanship. The manufacturer made many design changes in it. But apparently it never flew. Anybody here ever seen, or heard of anyone using the line boss?

It ws very expensive and quite bulky. It also only worked on doubled rope not SRT compatible. The ART lock Jacks and cousins did the job much better at a fraction of the bulk.

Back