This is the Akimbo

Just wondering, with pictures and drawings out in the open, should this thread perhaps be more private? Is there any chance someone could steal a march or is there too much fine detail that is impossible to 'lift' off the internet?

Love reading the testing remarks, reminds me of the HH development thread :)

I'm just plain astonished by it.

Some devices have the curious effect that the more you look at them, the more you like them.

Again, Jaime: well done.

OK, I'm back home now. I gave the device a few short runs this afternoon in between chunking my burn pile, too short to really get very deep into it, but my first impressions are very favorable. I tried it on both Poison Ivy (11.7mm) and Blue Streak (a fat 13mm). Both responded well, once dialed in.

The ease of tuning is really great, but I would benefit from some guidelines for where to start first and how to go forward from there. With adjustments available on both the upper and lower halves of the unit, there are a huge number of potential combinations. A bit daunting to guess how to best achieve proper tuning. Maybe you covered this in previous posts Jaime, but if so I missed it. If you did, just point me to them.

Anyway, I had a little trouble getting things tuned so the device didn't drop back down the line under a bit of unweighted slack with the PI, but did get it properly adjusted soon enough. In the end after much fooling around with both upper and lower at the same time, I just started with both set at maximum gap, then went to the lower adjustment, ran all the way through that range, then started with the upper adjustment. With the much fatter BS, not much adjustment was needed, only a couple of pin points tighter than fully open on the lower worked for me today.

It advances sweetly clipped to my chest harness, and slack tending by hand is nice as well. No complaints so far on either of these functions. Bob is right, the mid-point clevis attachment is just right.

OK, it's a beauty, no doubt about it, artistic. To gild the lily, I'd suggest finishing the side plates like Ushba did with their titanium ascenders years ago :). I'll see if I can find a pic online...if not, I'll take one of my Basic and post it.

Will be climbing on it again tomorrow if the weather holds...but I won't keep it much longer, as I've already kept it from circulation too long. DMc is next for this one?

Good to hear Burnham. I would imagine, that the top is for tension and the bottom is for rope diameter, but I am only speculating. I look forward to more reviews and would like to volunteer some of my own if this makes it out East. It's nice to see so many new tools entering the trade.

Ushba Basic ascender finish :D. Kind of a crappy pic off the web. If anyone really cares, I can dig mine out and get something better.

It would keep scratches from blemishing the cool lines of the device. Nothing beats titanium for bling, but I think it would work OK on the aluminum.

Attachments

• Ushba.jpg
    Ushba.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 73
The rope holds it up. A twelve ounce throw bag is nothing. Beefy is something I like about the HH.

Are you intending to do some pull testing?

Phillips head and phillips-head/ flat-head are obsolete technology. Maybe they are cheaper parts than allen bolts, or harder to source. Simple is good, too. Kinda takes away from the suave aesthetic.

This would make a beautiful finish.
circular_waves.jpg

watch out, guys, I just did my first image tag
tag wrap! Learning a wider variety of things here.:thumbup:

Good taste, B.;)

Ushba, that's where I'd seen it (only in catalogs).

Good to have you back, Burnham. Take your time with the Akimo. You have a knowledge base and experience level that is second to none. I know that it can take time to get a true feel for tools like this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Burnham, i recomend adjusting the top arm till the rope just touches the pin and roller, then adjust the bottom arm till it grabs well. more after baby time

Okie dokie...going at it backwards, I was. I'm going to start over and try it as you suggest, see how it comes together that way. Thanks, Jaime. Look forward to more if you find a moment between parenting tasks :).

And thank you for the kind words, Dave. I appreciate it, and will get with you pretty soon for a mailing addy.

mom has kiddo for now. untill i figure a placement for a spring, the top arm needs a touch of friction to not slide down a slack rope. i may just have you send that one back to me Burnham as i have already made some modifications to the design. i will send the newest version to you or i can send it straight to Dave as soon as i put it together. it solves some of the touchiness if the adjustments and creep that happens on slick ropes. cheers

I'd love to take a look at the revised version, if it's alright with you Jaime. But we could easily switch the order of trial...you could send the new one to Dave and then after he's had a go he could send it on to me. I'd then send it to whomever you want, of course. Matters not on my end, and since I've been sitting on this one for a couple of weeks already, that seems only fair.

In any event, I'll return this one to you asap. I still have the mailer you sent it in, would that return address for you be the right one for return mailing? If not, drop me a pm.

That sounds fair. I'll send it to Dave and he can send it to you. That return address is good

i met with my macinist friend last night. were looking at three weeks till we push out the first test run. that will give me enough to send one or two overseas:)

Back