This is the Akimbo

That's good going, my littlest only started walking this week too.

Attachments

• IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Might seem like a daft question but I am not that up on terminology. What's the purpose of clear anodising? I always thought it was to put colour onto things.

Anodizing produces a hard surface on the aluminum. It gives it some wear and corrosion protection.

If a person wanted wear resistance on aluminum the hard coating that David Driver spect on the X Rigging Rings is pretty incredible. You have to run muddy ropes to sand/wear through it from what I have seen and heard.

Maybe premium model Akimbos could have that one day.

I read that when it wears or chips off, a ridge can result which can damage ropes. I think thats why ABR rings are not anodized. Yet they still have superior wear traits according to treestuff

If a person wanted wear resistance on aluminum the hard coating that David Driver spect on the X Rigging Rings is pretty incredible.....

Hard anodizing has a few drawbacks as well. On a tools with multiple moving parts and close tolerances, its thickness will alter fit. As mentioned it can chip but probably the biggest factor that can change is the friction coefficient of the aluminum, by a lot. Great for non-moving rigging rings but could give unexpected results on something like the Akimbo.

I ground up an X ring with a dirty line. The ridge is a real thing. You can pick at it with your fingernail once it appears. . . The teflon/moly coated rings are sweet, I think Shizzl makes them?

Hard coat is unnecessary for the akimbo in my opinion. I'm having the cams made from 70 series aluminum and the other wear points are stainless. At this stage all of the wear parts are replaceable and I'm going to push to keep it that way.

Hard anodizing has a few drawbacks as well. On a tools with multiple moving parts and close tolerances, its thickness will alter fit. As mentioned it can chip but probably the biggest factor that can change is the friction coefficient of the aluminum, by a lot. Great for non-moving rigging rings but could give unexpected results on something like the Akimbo.

Ahhhhh..., that explains alot.

I'm having the cams made from 70 series aluminum and the other wear points are stainless. At this stage all of the wear parts are replaceable and I'm going to push to keep it that way.

:thumbup:

When they are sent out will they be sent as gift to the UK? Might help avoid any additional taxes.

I don't see why not. Unfortunately I am probably going to have to ask non US addresses to pay for shipping.

When they are sent out will they be sent as gift to the UK? Might help avoid any additional taxes.

I don't see why not. Unfortunately I am probably going to have to ask non US addresses to pay for shipping.

No problem with that, actually I think I mentioned it about 850 posts ago. :-)

Yup I expect to pay for International shipping, but it would be great to not have to pay import tax...

In a way we help to fund a project, it is t like we are purchasing from a retailer. It just so happens that the manufacturer now he is up and running, has sent a little something in the post as a thank you.

Back