This is the Akimbo

somebody did say they tried it out on 10mm and had it working well. i was a little surprised. i still plan on widening it by 1/8" so it can work with a wider range of rope diameters.

How do you widen it, with a file or with adjustment?

Might as well keep tinkering with it if it's gonna be a while to the release date. I got to play with one for a few very short minutes at the expo. I can't remember who's it was but he let me hang in a saddle at one of the multiple ropes from the ceiling. Tended so smooth and was so easy for a controlled descent. And then Magnum(jared?) helped me out later with the opening of it. Such a functional work of art.

I bet you guys want another picture.

9ddf7a3b9805d64daffba81bb7fa33f4.jpg

Yes, Dave. It is HTP on my flipline..... The akimbo is on some Kernmantle same as the orange just blue.

Sometimes I buy random hanks from wesspur to try out different lines.

Might as well keep tinkering with it if it's gonna be a while to the release date. I got to play with one for a few very short minutes at the expo. I can't remember who's it was but he let me hang in a saddle at one of the multiple ropes from the ceiling. Tended so smooth and was so easy for a controlled descent. And then Magnum(jared?) helped me out later with the opening of it. Such a functional work of art.

Yup sure did, I use mine often. To the comments of 10mm it works well but tend to creep a bit if you are a heavier climber like me!!

Wow. Dodged a bullet....

Started working in a cedar before I realized how sappy it was.

Got a tiny bit of sap on there and noticed a difference and traded it out for the RW.

I tried to keep it all Sanitary as best as I could.... It wouldn't be a problem soaking it in isopropyl alcohol over night?

I'm trying to keep my Akimbo cherry...
I love it. Took over as my daily go to.

The RW and hitch cord, is just as bomber if it rode in the back of the truck. Just yank down on the wrench, I rarely grab the Prussic cord itself. Tends to eat my gloves. :cool:

I tried to keep it all Sanitary as best as I could.... It wouldn't be a problem soaking it in isopropyl alcohol over night?

I'm trying to keep my Akimbo cherry...
I love it. Took over as my daily go to.

The RW and hitch cord, is just as bomber if it rode in the back of the truck. Just yank down on the wrench, I rarely grab the Prussic cord itself. Tends to eat my gloves. :cool:

Hey, Bodean! You may be teaching me something here!

Are you saying that when you want to descend using the Rope Wrench with hitch cord, that you just pull down on the top of the Rope Wrench? If so, is the Rope Wrench then coming into contact with your hitch cord? I guess I thought the whole idea of the Rope Wrench was to share friction with the hitch, and that if you fully collapsed the Rope Wrench, it would no longer be sharing friction, and therefore the hitch would bind up on you.

I'd be interested in hearing the details of how you implement this technique, so that I can understand how it works. Gloves wanting to get caught in the hitch cord is a problem I sometimes have, also.

The bigger deal for me, though, is if your technique somehow keeps your hitch cord from ever binding up on you on descent.

I know moss started a thread on this issue a while back either on this forum or on the buzz, but I thought I'd ask for your two cents.

I haven't been climbing in quite some time due to a heavy work schedule at my normal job, but any tips are appreciated, for the next time I get the chance.

Thanks in advance for any answers you choose to give.

Tim

Edit: I just realized I'm posting a question about the Wrench in a thread dedicated to the Akimbo. Apologies for the derail; (but I'd still like an answer to my query, so just how sorry can I really be? lol)

Last edited:
I just grab it and yank it down when I need it.... I have no techniques except over, around or through.

I actually like my gloves better after all the rubber has been eaten up.

I still love the Akimbo better as it doesn't like eating gloves as much...and it's so smooth....though in the rain? I haven't gotten the upgraded rain bollards....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back