This is the Akimbo

That is kind of weird. I mean the devices are pretty similar to have both in parallel. . . I was kind of waiting on the Akimbo myself.

My guess is that something even MORE exciting will come out before these hit the shelves.

Oh, the spin-offs. Others will constantly copy and re-design. You can imitate but you can not duplicate.

the RR2 is virtually identical to the Runner that that i have been climbing on since 2012. It has some improvements, mainly keeping all the pieces together. the curves were all Rock my personal aesthetics taste is less curvy. the functional design, what makes the runner work is unchanged. Myself and Jaimie were in Utah about a week from one another. We actually found that out from each other. Rock is Manufacturing both items as RE products. I am not sure what the ultimate plan is but they sure have the corner on SRT mechanicals at the moment.
there should be no major difference in how the runner functions on rope. The outer lines are bit different. But functionally it is basically the same as seen in this video from 2012. minor tweaks along the way my first spring was a hair tie, and various rubber bands. who know when the RR2 will be available commercially. But it is still a runner, not spinning off of anything..
https://youtu.be/ZjO1x2NGQNs
(horrible video, horrible music sorry. its not public, i was going to call it the shadow but there is a climbing device already by that name... )

this is a few months later, the design starting to come together,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4OZd0xO0po 2013.

Lots of folks have been a part of the inspiration for the runner. Gordon's and Paul Cox's ideas have had an influence on the runner. And I like to think that my ideas have helped them as well. Ideas are in a constant state of evolution.

You inventors are awesome folks....it's wonderful how you share your thoughts and insights with us out here, the users of your designs.

Thanks for pitching in like you do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought it strange that RE were developing the Akimbo and the RR2 at the same time.

Jamie, can you give us any insight to this?

Rock was working on the RR2 before i met him. i don't know how long its been in the works but i think its been a while. its going to be really interesting to see where all this goes. so far i have nothing but good things to say about rock exotica, im kind of excited that they seem to be focusing more on the tree gear with the RR2 and the Akimbo. as to which will come out first? i don't know. the RR2 has a head start for sure, but my gofundme parts don't need to go through as much testing and such. ive got to say that if the Akimbo looks half as pretty as that runner picture looks ill be beside myself with glee.

And yes ill be in sacramento at sherrills arborfest. ill be hanging out at the rock exotica booth or wandering around. and yes ill have a few of the hand made Akimbo prototypes with me if anyone wants to try them out.

:thumbup:

It'll happen when it happens, but do you have an ETA for the gofundme akimbos?

Jamie can you say if they will have any to handle by the expo? I'm truly holding out for the akimbo to be my first mechanical. I missed out on the go fund me but I want to get one as soon as they come out just to piss off Mr flashy gear at work:lol:

the RR2 is virtually identical to the Runner that that i have been climbing on since 2012. It has some improvements, mainly keeping all the pieces together. the curves were all Rock my personal aesthetics taste is less curvy. the functional design, what makes the runner work is unchanged. Myself and Jaimie were in Utah about a week from one another. We actually found that out from each other. Rock is Manufacturing both items as RE products. I am not sure what the ultimate plan is but they sure have the corner on SRT mechanicals at the moment.
there should be no major difference in how the runner functions on rope. The outer lines are bit different. But functionally it is basically the same as seen in this video from 2012. minor tweaks along the way my first spring was a hair tie, and various rubber bands. who know when the RR2 will be available commercially. But it is still a runner, not spinning off of anything..
https://youtu.be/ZjO1x2NGQNs
(horrible video, horrible music sorry. its not public, i was going to call it the shadow but there is a climbing device already by that name... )

this is a few months later, the design starting to come together,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4OZd0xO0po 2013.

Lots of folks have been a part of the inspiration for the runner. Gordon's and Paul Cox's ideas have had an influence on the runner. And I like to think that my ideas have helped them as well. Ideas are in a constant state of evolution.

Actually, Kevin, I mean that metaphorically, as in the early years most spin-offs never really improved on a devices original design. Today, the old saying doesn't necessarily hold the same truism.

Thanks for chiming in on that.

Still haven't heard back from rock on the parts. As soon as I get them it will be pretty straightforward to put them together and start mailing them out. I started a rough draft users manual last week. When is the expo?

parts are being made as of now. I had to make an executive decision on how long i am willing to wait to get these things out to the folks who were so generous to help me get this started. Rock Exotica is moving their entire facility to a new location and that means they would not get the parts done for longer than id like. we talked it over and i decided that i would have the gofundme batch parts made by my local shop. im confident that quality will not suffer going this route. ive had parts made by this shop before and they did fantastic work. hopefully this way i can get these things done sooner than later and avoid developing an ulcer in the process.

Keep on as you see fit, Jaime...but never get an ulcer thinking I'm impatient. I doubt any of your other investors want you to feel pressured either.

Well, there is that :D.

Get on the stick, what are you, lazy??? Hurry, hurry, I want it yesterday, no last week, I WANT IT!!!!!

Er...I think I better have another Dewars 12 year :).

;)

Are you having enough made for the full purchase donations and the discount ones? Just curious if we can get our discounted units in that run or if I have to wait a bit longer. I'm excited either way, keep up the good work

im making the full purchase units first. i offered the discount on the commercial release and i want to honor that. after this one is done we will see how long it will be before the rock version is due and go from there.

Back