This is the Akimbo

When adjusted proper... No set back. The thing is as smooth as silk.

What is "adjusted proper" to achieve zero sit-back? How does a climber know this, do you test it out before climbing? These are all things that I am sure I will figure out when I start climbing on the Akimbo, but is good to know beforehand.

Thanks.

Low and slow. Test... But easily adjusted once in the tree as well in case. It has two adjustment points. So you really need to dial it in just like a hitch for the rope you are using. Is it sliding when you weight it? Tighten the cam (s). Is it binding too hard? Loosen a cam or cams. Low and slow.
Then try some short ascents. Up, down... Up ... down... How did it feel? You are already familiar with how your hitch cord works on your rope... This is just a mechanical hitch.. You want it to grab when weighted and tend nicely when advancing.
Like anything, you don't just pull it out of the box and go work climb on it. Common sense.

Don't use a Rope Walker system much. I prefer the Sit-Stand aka Frog Method better....

Really? Have you used a properly functioning knee and foot ascender combined with a chest harness tending a multicender?

No comparison and no going back for me.

Really? Have you used a properly functioning knee and foot ascender combined with a chest harness tending a multicender?

No comparison and no going back for me.

I tried the HAAS method and never liked it. If anything, I'll go back to using the hand ascender with foot-loop and foot ascender on other foot. Need to somehow combine my tree climbing skills with SPRAT climbing skills. A HAAS, muticender and even a foot ascender do not meet Industrial Standards.

Low and slow. Test... But easily adjusted once in the tree as well in case. It has two adjustment points. So you really need to dial it in just like a hitch for the rope you are using. Is it sliding when you weight it? Tighten the cam (s). Is it binding too hard? Loosen a cam or cams. Low and slow.
Then try some short ascents. Up, down... Up ... down... How did it feel? You are already familiar with how your hitch cord works on your rope... This is just a mechanical hitch.. You want it to grab when weighted and tend nicely when advancing.
Like anything, you don't just pull it out of the box and go work climb on it. Common sense.

Thanks for the info.

I just like the idea of using both sets of climbing skills to better manage my daily routines with "muscle memory". I know it doesn't really make sense but that is just me :)

Most climbers in multiple disciplines tell me that I should keep the methods separate, but I still like the idea of trying to cross-engineer climbing techniques and tools in work conditions. Used to drive my SPRAT instructor crazy doing that.

When you say the center ring do you mean your bridge center ring or the center advancing ring on the device?

I broke an akimbo one time but didn't get to climb on it much

I suspect that sit-stand gives more of a sawing effect of the rope on the redirection crotch than rope-walking. More bounce.

I'm excited for the Akimbo to come to market. Meanwhile, the tried and true HH keeps on tickin'.

Any updates on when these'll be out to those of us that ponied up the $100 instead of getting in on the $300 option?
thanks,

I learned the taught-line hitch in 1969. Using manila rope. I'm here to tell it was the best damn thing going at the time. By the mid 70s synthetic rope (nylon) had essentially replace natural fiber rigging in the arborist trade. The Blake's hitch came in the early 90s and solved the problem of the climbing hitch creeping. What a godsend. In the mid 90s the French Prussik with the minding pulley improved climbline control dramatically better. By the year 2000 numerous mechanical devices were being developed, in the attempt, to surpass the current limits of climbline control through fiber on fiber.

Up to my injury, and retirement, in 2007 I tried out practically every mechanical device there was, and in my opinion none of them could beat the control I could get through fiber on fiber.

But that was 10 years ago. Since then a half dozen new mechanicals have made their debut, and I can not help but wonder if they are really as good as all the hype says they are.

With the current development of SRT in working arborculture today it appears the mechanicals have reached a brand new pinnacle in line control.

What's next?

The Blake's hitch came in the early 90s and solved the problem of the climbing hitch creeping.

Agreed, although wouldn't you say that, at the time, the creeping was just part of the whole experience, it really wasn't a big deal. Or you could also tie the taut line with stoppers abutting the hitch so there was nowhere to creep to.

What's next?? The next 46 years?? Well lets just assume it will be utterly radical and make 1969 look like covered wagon days.

Good question Jerry! I think we'll see further development in mechanicals for awhile yet, then, who knows? Smaller battery operated wraptor like ascending units?

I learned the taught-line hitch in 1969. Using manila rope. I'm here to tell it was the best damn thing going at the time. By the mid 70s synthetic rope (nylon) had essentially replace natural fiber rigging in the arborist trade. The Blake's hitch came in the early 90s and solved the problem of the climbing hitch creeping. What a godsend. In the mid 90s the French Prussik with the minding pulley improved climbline control dramatically better. By the year 2000 numerous mechanical devices were being developed, in the attempt, to surpass the current limits of climbline control through fiber on fiber.

Up to my injury, and retirement, in 2007 I tried out practically every mechanical device there was, and in my opinion none of them could beat the control I could get through fiber on fiber.

But that was 10 years ago. Since then a half dozen new mechanicals have made their debut, and I can not help but wonder if they are really as good as all the hype says they are.

With the current development of SRT in working arborculture today it appears the mechanicals have reached a brand new pinnacle in line control.

What's next?

That's a pretty concise history of where we both started and ended up, as far as climbing ropes and hitches go, Jer. All of that echoes with familiarity.

I for sure don't know what's next Jer...but Jaime's Akimbo is almost beyond belief in sweet function if you have the right climb line for it. My 11.7mm Poison Ivy just barely fits at the widest settings for both cams...but works mighty well there. Forget about it if you want to use a true 1/2 inch line (my old fav Blue Streak was a no-go), and probably the same for a true 10mm static line like Sterling HTP (don't have that one on hand to try, but Jaime says the Akimbo is suitable for 11 to 12mm, so I'll assume he's right as usual :)). Actually, that's a shame...that 10mm HTP is an awesome rope for srt.

If you want to try the Akimbo out, let me know Jerry...I'd happily send you mine for a trial, so long as you agree to send it back eventually :D.

Back