Spellfeller's Continuing (Mis)Adventures Aloft

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for that, Butch. What I was TRYING to do was tip tie the piece so the butt dropped. Now that you point it out, this was closer to a mid-point tie, and I could have gotten a mouthful of maple!

Thankfully, my groundie let it hinge perfectly (after multiple reminders to let it run), and I stopped cutting as soon as it started to go over, but there's no sense in depending on both of those things happening.

Next time in that situation, I'll butt tie! :thumbup:

Your groundie doing that saw dance 😂😂😂 got me rollin

Sound advice Butch,I would have to totally agree with ya there.

All is well that ends well Jeff! Congrats that sucker looking dryy mang,i bet now you can sleep a lil better 👍👊💪

Thanks for that, Butch. What I was TRYING to do was tip tie the piece so the butt dropped. Now that you point it out, this was closer to a mid-point tie, and I could have gotten a mouthful of maple!

Thankfully, my groundie let it hinge perfectly (after multiple reminders to let it run), and I stopped cutting as soon as it started to go over, but there's no sense in depending on both of those things happening.

Next time in that situation, I'll butt tie! :thumbup:

FWIW...

If the groundy doesn't let it run when mid-tied, you magnify the force with the lever-effect of the limb/ hinge.

Personally, I don't trust many groundies for running ropes. I'm a fan of peeling a lot of limbs, letting the tree absorb the force, and lowering them myself with a natural crotch or overhead friction device. On a dicey tree, or the majority of things actually, I'd rather be able to relatively instantaneously react to what is happening with both saw and rope. A sharp Silky goes a long way. Cutting on a slant heading tip-ward prevents binding. Be aware of barber-chairing. Strap with a piece of rope. (truth be told- every once in a while I'll one-hand a top-handled saw.)

A rookie groundie is not to be relied upon to keep you safe. Butt tying is safer.

A vertical/ near vertical/ steep speedline can be remove the need to catch a falling piece. Let the ground take a beating, away from the obstacle that requires it not to be free-dropped.

FWIW...

If the groundy doesn't let it run when mid-tied, you magnify the force with the lever-effect of the limb/ hinge.

Personally, I don't trust many groundies for running ropes. I'm a fan of peeling a lot of limbs, letting the tree absorb the force, and lowering them myself with a natural crotch or overhead friction device. On a dicey tree, or the majority of things actually, I'd rather be able to relatively instantaneously react to what is happening with both saw and rope. A sharp Silky goes a long way. Cutting on a slant heading tip-ward prevents binding. Be aware of barber-chairing. Strap with a piece of rope. (truth be told- every once in a while I'll one-hand a top-handled saw.)

A rookie groundie is not to be relied upon to keep you safe. Butt tying is safer.

A vertical/ near vertical/ steep speedline can be remove the need to catch a falling piece. Let the ground take a beating, away from the obstacle that requires it not to be free-dropped.

Lots of nuggets there, Sean. Thanks. In the "FWIW" category, I'd say it's worth a fair bit! :thumbup:

Sense of accomplishment! Well done.
I picked up a few nuggets in Sean's post too, especially hand sawing on a slant heading tip-wards. I Use my Hayauchi from the ground sometimes and it's very hard to undercut and 9/10 the saw blade gets bound or stuck, so I'm going to try it.

Sense of accomplishment! Well done.
I picked up a few nuggets in Sean's post too, especially hand sawing on a slant heading tip-wards. I Use my Hayauchi from the ground sometimes and it's very hard to undercut and 9/10 the saw blade gets bound or stuck, so I'm going to try it.

Thanks, Fiona. That diagonal cut idea stuck with me too; I'll have to try it.

Ahhh, brings back memories of my first maple kiss.... to the face.....

Yum! Glad I dodged that for now, Peter. Though there may be one in my future! :|:

Nice work Jeff! Congrats.

Thanks, Sam. When you're learning to crawl, progress is easy to measure! :thumbup:

I've found that if I slant cut Doug fir like that, it will hinge on the bottom strap, rather than snap off brittle-like.

Bigleaf Maple will tend to barber chair a bit, but hang on the strap, unless I time it to cut the strap at max swing... If it's pointed at 3:00, it will swing down and if released appropriately, will swing the tip to 9:00, leaving the butt toward 3:00.

Experiment with your local species.

Been a little nutso at work, but I wanted to circle back and get some stump pictures put up.

This is what was revealed when the Deader Than Dead Maple went over:

i-N9LddgT-L.jpg

i-khZhrDm-L.jpg

As you can see, the "hinge" (such as it is) had to run through the knot of the smallest stem. I was glad I had a pull line on the spar; lord knows how that would have behaved if it hadn't been "convinced" to fall to the lay I wanted...?

I'll link to video later than may or may not add anything. On one level, I feel bad that I took down some primo habitat, on the other I'm very happy to have this giant hazard on the ground!

I'll be bucking it up this weekend, provided I can get a replacement bar nut for the one I lost. :|:

Hi, everybody! Hope you're all happy and healthy!

Can't believe I haven't made a TH post in nine months! :cry: Glad to be out of hibernation and gearing up for a (smaller) two-tree project tomorrow. Won't be anything terribly special, but I AM going to try to shoot some video for the first time. Fingers crossed! :)

Thanks, Peter!

First one is just a flop (may have to pull out a hanger first). Once #1 is down, I may have an angle to flop #2 without topping it. We'll see...

Regardless, it's tree work and just about ANY tree work can bite you in the arse! :/:

Hey there 'feller! Glad to see a post, I was just about to bump this one as you hadn't been on in a long time!
Good luck with the job, think twice cut once :)

Thanks, Fi! I'll try to keep my wits--such as they are--about me!

If I can get the knock-off Go Pro to work there'll likely be PLENTY to critique. Just nothing major I hope!

It's good to read you too! :)

So you know that part when you're psyched to pull the super HD video of your awesome treecuttery off your el cheapo GoPro clone, and it turns out you had an extra button press in there somewhere, so when you thought you were pressing "on" you were actually pressing "off" and there is exactly ZERO video of your awesome treecuttery? (But lots of evidence of your asshattery...)

Ergh. :X

Thanks, Ray! Good to be back amongst the tremendous T-Housers!

Are you getting ready for the hunting season?

Back