Volume of gas in gas station pump lines

Cobleskill

Treehouser
When you buy premium gas and the previous customer pumped regular, how much regular do you figure is left in the lines? I usually pump a gallon or two in my
vehicle first.

I guess if you are buying 5 gallons at a crack it wouldn't matter as much.

How much difference is there in your premium and regular fuels?

Most saws don't react to different octane as long as they can run on the fuel.
Biggest difference you find here in the fuels is in the composition of it otherwise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would think a lot of times there is more than 15 feet. The tanks are usually pretty far away from the pumps. I guess buying gas at the pump closest to the tanks would cut down on the volume.

Never thought of that before.

Here, Stihl recommend 89 octane or higher.

Here Stihl and Husqvarna say the same. Lowest grade we can get has 92, highest 98 octane. can be stored a week or two. Not good for cleaning, though.
On the other hand the pump gas is very good for cleaning, not as good in saws though..

Best fuel (and what most use) is a fuel free from additives as benzene, fat acids etc. Can be stored a very long time. two years is guaranteed, 5 is no problem, I run 20 year old as well without issue.

The gas is the same Magnus. I wondered about that once when my Kiwi relatives gave me heck about our low test gas.

Where the heck are you getting 20 year old gas?

I bet Dave pumps his gallon to clear the hose right into the well at the orphan home.:P

I get premium delivered because it has no alcohol in it. Alcohol is safe for modern engines, of which I have very few of.

Since using Pine pitch from stump's squeezing was unsuccessful against you guys during WW2, we've gone to better fuels. Premium is minimum 100 octane. No ethanol.

Some places have pumps for hi grade only. FWIW when I get hi octane for my small engines/saws I'll put the first $10/20 into my truck and the rest into cans.

The gas is the same Magnus. I wondered about that once when my Kiwi relatives gave me heck about our low test gas.

Where the heck are you getting 20 year old gas?

I bet Dave pumps his gallon to clear the hose right into the well at the orphan home.:P

I get premium delivered because it has no alcohol in it. Alcohol is safe for modern engines, of which I have very few of.

I got a barrel from a old army officer that had a couple and realized he had three lifetimes worth of fuel.
This was same fuel as we run saws on here now.

We can have 14% alcohol in fuels today, up to 20% has been found.
Alcohol in itself is not the problem. It is in combination with all the other stuff in the fuels it gets crazy...

If you have alcohol in fuel and run it in a engine that lubes by fuel you need a oil that can mix with it and that is not very easy to find.
Some fully synthetic twostroke oils work. Resin oil too.

Here was a smaller gas company that was selling 92, 95 and 98. Three buttons to choose, pump fix the rest from storage tanks...
Eventually it was discovered this gas company only had 92 in the tanks so that is what you got regardless....

Back