Wraptor idea.

flushcut

TreeHouser
Since I don't have a Wraptor I throw it out there for others. What if you installed a HH or some other SRT device above the Wraptor instead of the rope grab (gibbs) thing. That way you can use it for decent as well as ascent just by taking the rope out of the drum. I have no idea if it would work but...

Since I don't have a Wraptor I throw it out there for others. What if you installed a HH or some other SRT device above the Wraptor instead of the rope grab (gibbs) thing. That way you can use it for decent as well as ascent just by taking the rope out of the drum. I have no idea if it would work but...
An SRT attached to the bail out point achieves the same. Just unclipped the safety from your harness.

I have repelled and worked off the unit. I have also set a prussic with a pulley or ring & biner FS just above the devise and worked off that.
I have also hung the Wraptor and worked off the Wraptor line. Best when you take the Wraptor off of course. Not only safer, but the Wraptor clanging around and its weight while you are on the same line is bothersome.
I prefer just going up.... set my TIP and rigging and get to work. Let the ground take the devise out of the tree once I am tied in. Or I lower it to them.
I am much more mobile on my own 7/16ths line...

I have repelled and worked off the unit. I have also set a prussic with a pulley or ring & biner FS just above the devise and worked off that.
I have also hung the Wraptor and worked off the Wraptor line. Best when you take the Wraptor off of course. Not only safer, but the Wraptor clanging around and its weight while you are on the same line is bothersome.
I prefer just going up.... set my TIP and rigging and get to work. Let the ground take the devise out of the tree once I am tied in. Or I lower it to them.
I am much more mobile on my own 7/16ths line...

Great thing about the Wraptor base tie, you have exactly enough rope after ascent to lower it out, with the Groundie helping to keep it free of branches or the trunk, with the tail of the rope. You can also lower it down a pre-ground-tied speed line, with the tail of the rope, if working alone.

Just be sure that the rope going to the groundie is routed near the sheave, and can't get caught around the trigger, or the carb area. Easy enough.

Or you can come out of the tree, tie a continuous loop using a sheet bend mid line or something and lower it to yourself guiding it around stuff if working solo.

Yep.

I have figured that if I want to work with it in the tree, if removing a conifer, just keep spurs and flip going full time if my TIP is not 100% , though bounce tested. I've been working the preschool trees over, and could only get a shot out away from the collar a foot, and over many backup branches. No problem, but careful not to overly trust my rope when not a better shot.

Sorta like munter-rappelling on the pull line of a tree. I doubt the old rigging line would fail, but sensible to have a full capacity backup system.

In all my time of removing a conifer I've never once that I recall had a overhead TIP or set a line before spur and flipping up. Unless you're going to just ascend the line I can't see it being very efficient to set a line as a backup to just spurring up anyways?

I know my methods are dinosaur like but around here most conifers are in the 60-120' range and I just can't see it being nearly as quick to start shooting and setting a line and all that jazz as opposed to just slapping on the Spurs and heading up. On consistently taller trees maybe?

In my case I find it much eaiser it climb the rope than ascend on spurs, I just don't have the gas spurring up.

For me I guess it's with how I learned vs finding it frustrating to set a line in a say 100' conifer, even with a flipping bigshot I can end up farting around forever it seems. I have set lines in conifers many times, for pruning or for pull lines/rigging lines or whatnot. I only climbed with Spurs for many years in the woods and I find it pretty quick and easy to flip up a conifer.

The only way to get good with a throwline/ Bigshot/ apta is practice. Well, the apta is cheating, almost.

Its always easier on your body to have a top-rope climbing line. I hardly stand in my spurs when doing conifer removals, with most of my weight on my saddle between active cutting.

I will sometimes simply spur up to the cutting area, throw my rope 5'-10' overhead, and sit down. When I approach the TIP, I time the ground work with the climbing line advancement.

Recently, I had already disconnected from my flipline and was swinging past my TIP tree, 5-7' to the side, and on my way down before I really, fully registered that my mentally/ visually-rehearsed bail-out plan was in effect because I was getting stung by bees.

I hear all the time that " I have a rope clipped to the back of my saddle for an emergency. I'll clip it in and set up my figure 8."

Too many people plan their climbing to work out fine, as long as everything works out fine.

Also, if the situation lends itself to it, if you have a preset line, you can spur up without a flip line (at least once you get to the branches), pop the top, then drop the lower section with branches. Its too much of a pain to keep setting alternating lanyards to pop a top, IMO.

If its easier on my body, I try to do it.

My 2 cents.

My trick is to tell an uncooperative tool I'm going to get a replacement and do it differently. The tool starts cooperating more, then. Works for setting a line. Works for employees, too. ;)

Valid points Sean. Limb it, top it, and chunk it down just seems so efficient that even given the opportunity to take the top before stripping one(like from a bucket) I'd rarely choose to do it that way.

And certainly for the bread and butter straightforward limb, top, and chunk I'd argue it's faster and still very safe to just spur and flip line up. TIT for cutting and have a line with you for descending.

I'm of course commenting on my experience within my geographic area. Certainly if the trees were bigger like they are where you are Sean I'd possibly see it differently.

When I'm ascending a pine, and I get to the first limbs, I'll toss my rope as high up as I can and tie in just to take some weight off my spurs, give me my two tie in points, and allow me to sit.

Damn... hella sentence!

Back