Tree work hand tools

This modern model isn't so pretty than the old one but it's easily available.
http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/Choppers_2/NATA-240mm-Double-Edge-Hatchet#sthash.uhhfpizf.dpbs
My buddy bought this chopper 2 or 3 years ago.
The seller warned him that's a dangerous tool, because every man who bought one at his shop was bit by it. "I don't care, give me one".
My buddy was very proud of his new toy. Nice tool indeed, well made and very sturdy.
Until, some weeks after, BAM ! a direct hit on the tibia.
Since that, the chopper is no more so nice and is somehow less loved. :/:

Thanks Jay, hope you're having fun!
Not interested in the new, just love the craftsmanship of the other

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some year sago someone gave me a knife magazine, and it showed a Nata maker and some real beauties that he produced, so I'm sure that guys making them the old way are still around. Lots of places sell them, even the hardware store, but mostly cheap mass production ones. I'll just have to make enquiries for you, Willie. With the exchange rate, it's a good time to buy from here.

I realize this is about owning and cherishing a well made tool, but if some of you just want a Nata for using, Silky makes one: https://www.google.dk/search?q=ARS+...73B_M-XxwIVihQsCh0BAgVu#tbm=isch&q=silky+nata

Jay, am I right wnen I think that Nata simply means blade?.
I know it from Naginata, the curved version of the Yari spear. Sometimes, when one trains with a long staff "Bo" it is good to go the bit further and put a blade on the end.
For no other reason but to remind oneself to be aware of which end points forwards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stig, I'm not exactly sure, distinctions when put into an English word can be troublesome to find an exact translation for.. In this case, I think that it would more mean, "clever" or "hatchet".

I'm not sure about the Silky, but with a lot of Japanese tools, like a Nata, the better ones will have hard tool steel that is forged with and backed by a softer steel. The good swords and plane blades are still made that way. That gives you the hard cutting edge that has the softer steel behind to resist shock. With a Nata, the blade being shock absorbing is obviously important. You can usually see the line where the different steels meet, and when done in such a way by master blacksmiths, that it not only has fine edge holding qualities, but sometimes is considered an exquisite artistic creation. I guess if you carried around swords all day, slept with one next to you, you'd appreciate things like that. With the subtleties, a very typical traditional way of blade making here.

I can certainly see that it would be important in a blade like a Nata, that has to handle shock from hard impacts.

Back