Lightning protection systems

I'd like to use them too but they're not available without the whole pkg. which includes some insanely high consulting/'education' fees.

if you are in Pburg is that not a fairly active area? why'd you stop?

Buyouts; sheesh. Broadening corporate outreach seems to correlate with slippage of practice standards. wonder why.

Pittsburgh is awesome for LP but I live in Morgantown WV. Just south. I commuted up to Pittsburgh for 4 years and a utility forester position came open with the utility down here so I took it. I only do commercial arboriculture on weekends at best these days. I want to get back into it full time but the timing just isn't right at the moment.

utility money is steady; that was reason enough for me to go over to the dark side, some time back...

The file you posted was the same I came across, I expected to find more science and knowledge for rehab of recently struck trees. My search resulted in little info beyond what was covered in your article.

The file you posted was the same I came across, I expected to find more science and knowledge for rehab of recently struck trees. My search resulted in little info beyond what was covered in your article.

There's plenty of science and knowledge, based on results from practice.

If you are looking for formal research, fuggedaboutit. This practice is not making profit for the corporations that fund the research, so there is none. they preach "Wait and See" instead of guiding callus to cover wood.

I knew there was a reason I couldn't find more info. The money aspect yet again:(
What happened to the love for trees, bummer but I guess my wait and see answer was correct.

I knew there was a reason I couldn't find more info. The money aspect yet again:(
What happened to the love for trees, bummer but I guess my wait and see answer was correct.

Wait and See was what? If the loose bark is not traced, the callus can form a cavity(left), instead of closure (right).

Trace and not.jpg

The bark was traced and strapped with some small blocks of wood over using staples the wait and see was in reference to how much dieback, the strike may have caused. Three + weeks in and I can see no signs of dieback. I climbed the tree and could find no signs of lightning in the canopy just the trunk from about 20ft down. My tracing wound up like your photo with a 4 to 6in strip in the middle that was still secure.
The wait an see is does it die or live, both me and the client are praying for the later and doing all we can to make it so including re mulching, adequate water is happening on its own currently as well.

My apologies as well to the OP for hijacking;)

Thanks MB; the pic was an "Oops I missed a spot!" kind of thing. It was on the opposite side of the main damage, which I had just finished tracing.

Strapping over staples, I like that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seen that, almost like a redwood. They disintegrate, fir usually don't do that but I've fell some ugly lightening struck trees

Installed probably thousands of lightning arresters with the power company. How you gonna arrest THAT?
Nothing can arrest that. It's just an unbelievable power.
The onliest purpose of the lightning arrester (!) isn't to stop it but on the contrary to facilitate its "life". That gives it a preferential or/and an easier path in the surrounding structure/environment. The massive amount of energy can flow and drain throw that with few loss (therefore few collateral damages) instead of struggling either to pass through a resistive element (generating an intense heat, shock wave...) or to find an exit in a good one (destroying all the electrical equipments at the end of the supply lines).

The idea of the falling strike is so ingrained in our mind, that we have a real hard time to visualize the actual phenomenon. I was very surprised when I discovered it.

Edit:
I just see that's even more complicated because there are many different cases, like where are the positive and negative sides and which one initiate the discharge. Apparently, it could be both the ground or the cloud.

It's in french, but the pics speak for themselves.
http://www.chasseurs-orages.com/dossier-orage/les_secrets_de_la_foudre.htm

Back