length of lanyard?

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

Thanks to your help, I've 1) got a good sense of which DRT system to start with and 2) am making progress on the saddle search. Now I'm hoping you could shine a little light on lanyard choices, particularly length?

It seems that there's a trend to longer lanyards, which can be used more like a second climbing line. Is that the case? The choice I'm trying to make is between a 15-footer and a longer one, maybe in the 25-foot range (more like the CE). Is that crazy talk?

Thanks for any guidance.

Jeff

I made a longer one, over 20ft or so, comes in very handy when working. I stuff it into a ditty bag along with slings and whatnot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Peter. One vote for longer!
I was looking at something along the lines of the one below. May try to make it myself, but piecing it together DIY-style, I'm not sure I could beat this price by much...

25’ Chinook Lanyard $139.00 FLI270
Many climbers are discovering the benefits of carrying an extra-long lanyard with them as they ascend. The length of the lanyard lets it be used like a second climbing line, and can switched-to when the main climbing line needs to be advanced. Can be carried in a lanyard pouch until needed. A quick trick for some of the new devices like the Hitch Hiker or Rope Wrench is to throw the lead end of the lanyard over the shoulder and clip it to the device to keep it tended.

rec lanyard.gif

All depends on your work.

Some days I could get by with an 8' lanyard, others I'll use a long one as an SRT lanyard. As a secondary climbing system, you can get by without a friction device (RW, HH) in addition to the your hitch. This might be where you are limbwalking on your climbing system, and your second tie-in is bearing half your weight, as a typical DdRT hitch does.

You can easily buy this system, and transfer everything to a short lanyard as needed. Splices/ sewn eyes are nice... knots are free.

If 25' becomes apparently way to long, you could cut it, tie stopper knots and have about an 8' and a 16'.

Jeff, before you buy that lanyard I would highly recommend assembling your own with a hitchclimber pulley, pinto pulley, or hydra pulley. It would be a much more versatile system. Also, like the other guys have said there is no one fits all lanyard length if you are climbing to prune and remove many different species of trees.

knots are free.
:thumbup:
Jeff, the double fisherman knot is a simple, fairly compact and safe way to attach the snap or carabiner to your lanyard. If you don't know how to tie it, it would probably take you all of two minutes to learn. Lanyards take a lot of abuse and call me cheap, but I hate to pay someone for something I can do myself. Sounds kind of like something you said.

Hey, some of us like to splice! I have a spare lanyard spliced up just in case, gotta put that skill to use somewhere.... I think every rope I have is spliced, same with my parents, my brother.... ;)

My lanyard is 15', with the last 5' feet daisy chained. No pulley needed,#2 brass snap below the hitch does the same thing. Personally, I like the splice on a lanyard,though knots work fine.

For the most part, I don't need a super long lanyard. 10 or 12 feet is just fine.

Attachments

• happyhappyjoyjoy.jpg
    happyhappyjoyjoy.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 88
I seem to have settled on a 20' lanyard, I'm on at least my third homemade one, the rope gets tired way before the hardware does. I cut off the clip from one end and make up a new one. Either double fisherman knot or I stitch it with heavy waxed sailmaker whipping twine. I use a distel hitch and a small pulley for tending, and stitch a thimble into the other end for a stopper.
I agree, don't see the point in buying something I can make myself...unless it's your first one and you will use the hardware in subsequent lanyards you make yourself

I've always tied mine up from scratch, about 16 to 18 feet after construction (lots of loss in length in the knots, so plan for that) has worked out well for me. Scaffold knot/fisherman's loop on a locking snap link on the working end, double overhand knot as a stopper on the bitter end. I like the distal hitch with a micro pulley slack tender.

I use two lanyards of that length usually, when spur climbing...but that's not exactly mainstream. Most folks just use their climb line as the second...me, I'll just tie my climb line off to my saddle and trail it up until I get to the top. Old school in that way, I guess.

You can use the tail end of your rope as a second tip..( works great in the right situation long limb walks etc...)
Works wonders for me!!
I remember the first time I used it,I was like damm why didn't I think of this sooner!!!
And its cheap security...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, you guys are awesome! Tons of valuable insight here. You've got me convinced to tackle putting my own together; I'll have to price out some of your suggestions: Pinto (that becket WOULD come in handy, I'm sure) thimble, etc. Maybe I can work up a poor man's version of the CE lanyard. (Video here.)

I can completely see the advantage of skipping pre-made splices and tying my own knots (while being sure to test everything low & slow). I've got Knots at Work and it's super helpful too. One question on that: the advantage of the double fisherman's loop vs. the anchor hitch is that the terminal end comes out parallel to the line, right?

I use about 16'...many times it serves as second çlimb line...and useful to traverse to another tree. Can toss snap thru tight crotch in the other tree and pull self over...then lanyard is ready to secure to start new work position ... Also works to return under control to original tree.

I generally use the tail of my rope as a 2nd climb line. If your lanyard is long enough to be used as a climbing rope, then it stops being a lanyard IMO.

Thanks, you guys are awesome! Tons of valuable insight here. You've got me convinced to tackle putting my own together; I'll have to price out some of your suggestions: Pinto (that becket WOULD come in handy, I'm sure) thimble, etc. Maybe I can work up a poor man's version of the CE lanyard. (Video here.)

I can completely see the advantage of skipping pre-made splices and tying my own knots (while being sure to test everything low & slow). I've got Knots at Work and it's super helpful too. One question on that: the advantage of the double fisherman's loop vs. the anchor hitch is that the terminal end comes out parallel to the line, right?

That's a major one, sure.

I got the triple action snap when I made up my last lanyard (the red and gray one) Takes a wee bit of getting used to but a bit more security than just a double, never had a problem with the double but I have a suspicion triple is what industry want's you to use down under...stand to be corrected.

Back