Traditional vs Floating Bridge Saddles

Jomo

TreeHouser
My first experience with a FB saddle back in the early 90's ended with Magargal and I swapping lower belts, his traditional Sierra Moreno lower belt, for my new Sierra Moreno FB lower belt, he liked FB's, I hated them.

But my opinion of them was biased because 90% of my work was removals where stability in my saddle was king, particularly during cut n chuck limbing and snap cut trunk sections thrown into the LZ. Though I could see why a FB saddle might appeal to a pruner due to its greater side to side maneuverability, they were not my cup of tea for either pruning or removals due to my love of stability in the saddle regardless.

So I'd like to know if there are any other removal experts out there like Magargal who prefer doing removals with FB saddles, and why they prefer them during removal ops?

Jomo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you never cut n chuck limbs without your lanyard Butch?

The ole TITS method that so many rave about regardless of what op you're performing, or where eh?

Jomo

Just my opinion of course, but there are many situations aloft where being tied in twice can get you in big trouble.

Crane removals without an escape route accessible in a split second being just one example, when an amateur CO lets the pick move towards you rather than away from you? Particularly on multiple leader decurrent removals where your TIP is separate from the leader being picked. I find myself routing my bodyline in such a way that I can swing away and out of the action zone at will.

Jomo

Even just pruning with no gaffs, particularly cutting with just a handsaw, I find myself not using my lanyard in favor of stabilizing myself with my feet, knee hooked over a branch etc.

One of the many reasons I get nervous about newbie climbers emulating my admittedly dangerous climbin n cuttin techniques in certain situations.

Jomo

I switched to a FB last year and love it for removals as well as prunes. I follow TITS except where I see it being a hazard like Jomo said. Making the decision to not tie in twice has helped save my ass more than once. Had a crane op argue withe on sling placement and where to cut once. I cut, bailed, and had the tips brush my helmet as I dropped out. Had a few nasty storm jobs where it just wasn't safe to be attached to the tree.
Anyhow the maneuverability of the FB saddle trumps the stability for me

What is TITS? Also, you could have one saddle with both.

edit- tie in twice s-?

Tie In Twice Stupid.
I want to put a tiny ascender on my bridge to shorten or lengthen as needed to make it both.

Jomo: I didn't use one (FB) for the LONGEST time because of the perceived benefits that you mentioned.

Went to FB about two years ago. I'll just say this: I tried to wear my old non FB a little while ago for an experiment.... I just started laughing... The thing just felt so stinkin' restrictive. Hilarious how our habits dictate our methods.

I appreciate your guy's opinions n preferences on FB saddles, and don't think I haven't tried them multiple times.

But to me they're an accident waiting to happen with their flimsy little bridge ropes and tiny little D rings.

I suspect bridge failures have already rocked a few climbers' world's! One mistaken swipe with a razor sharp handsaw's all it'd take. There's an old rule of design that posits if it can happen, it will happen.

I may be an old school dinosaur, but I'm a living old school dinosaur.

I can't help but crack up each time I go to a field day seminar and watch these famous climbers demonstrating their stuff with everything but the kitchen sink hanging off their saddle! I'm the exact opposite in that I'm a minimalist. My med kit's the two bandannas tucked into the waist of my britches.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Jomo

Your hanging off a rope that can be cut with ease, be it your lifeline or strop - so a rope bridge makes not a bit of difference

I like the weaver webbing bridge. I have a buckingham ergovation rope bridge assembly, haven't used it yet, I like the stiffness of the webbing.

Just that the bridge material itself has to be replaced so often's enough to creep me out, considering that it's such a vital life support component of the saddle.

My Sierra Moreno saddle lasted well over a decade without replacing any thing but the tool snaps with broken springs!

Jomo

It's funny, I'm opposite, I like the idea of being able to replacing life support components. I always did consider a nice thick layered polyester webbing bridge would be a good option. I just did a quick search for the Sierra Monero, didn't come up with anything, any links? or pics?

I seriously doubt Don'd still be selling the same saddle that lasted me so long Peter.

But this is me wearing it way back in 91.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 42
A closer more recent shot of the same saddle, now retired and relegated to use in my mad R&D projects.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 41
Back