pity on the noob!

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, guys:

So glad to find The Tree House; there seems to be a ton of wisdom here. I hope you don't mind a couple of new guy questions.

(Whoops! Tried to insert a poll and it backfired. I'll try to get it sorted in the next few minutes!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
wondering about climbing systems

Sorry for the delay, folks. Thanks for your patience!

I'm kind of chasing my tail on the beginner options for DdRT and wondering which of the following four systems you would recommend for a guy just getting started.

Arranged from most traditional to as modern as I can afford! :)

A. Closed Blake's with pulley
400_30942-ill.jpg

B. Split tail Blake's with pulley
kit19-2-500.gif

C. ETE with standard micro
kit18-1-500.gif

D. ETE with Hitch Climber
pul120-k1-group-500.gif

Thanks for your thoughts!

Welcome, I would say that as a new Climber that you should start with A. On any training course over here you would be taught on a normal prussic loop and then once you know the basics of how to climb then move onto the other systems you have put up. You wouldn't even be using a cambium saver on a climbing course as the friction you get from the tree will slow down the speed of your mistakes.

That is just my opinion and the way I have seen it happen in my time in this game. Which is relatively short compared to some on here. Plus is saves on expense if you don't get on with climbing. But as I said each to their own.

What?!

No three fingered monkey fists, with a pulley chaser?

Am I an extinct dinosaur now?

Will Exxon profit off my residuals?

Jomo

I'm with Peter, D, the hitch climber pulley system with an eye to eye hitch of choice. Runs smoother than the Blake's and everything's compact and right in front of you. Slack tending is much easier with less setback too. The one advantage the Blake's had over the HC for me was in hip thrusting, advancing the hitch was more natural than having to reach down and tend slack. I think it's important to learn to use the Blake's too and although it seems most guys are flying SRT these days, I still use a Blake's on doubled rope from time to time. Welcome to the House Spellfeller!

Thanks for the advice & welcomes, guys.

Looks like initial returns are running almost 50/50 for the extremes: A & D. While I understand the argument to maximize efficiency with a more modern system, I certainly see the wisdom of starting at the beginning and walking before you run.

Given that my first climb (LINK to AAR) went just fine with the traditional method--save for the BDSM device I was sitting in--I'd probably be wiser to stay simple (and cheap) with the rope system and put my shekels towards a new saddle.

And reading about WHEN to prune! :|:

Hi, Butch. I'm Jeff. Pretty cool place you've got here! :D

::off to fill out profile::

Make yourself at home, Jeff! Good on you for filling out your profile!!! :beer:

Let me know if you need any help with your avatar. Post the pic you want and I'll do it.

Having taught a number of green apprentices, I'd say go with a hitchclimber setup, but teach yourself to tie a Blake's as well.

Don't start out with a VT on the Hitchclimber setup, it is IMO too finicky for a greenhorn.
I usually have my new guys climb on a Distel untill they are completely comfy with the whole climbing /working aloft thing, then let them switch to a VT.

I'm with Stig, in the entirety of his post.

As an instructor, I always started noobs with something close to A, but even more basic, no slacktender...then add that, then add a foot ascender...but quickly moved to the hitchclimber/eye2eye setup.

You simply must be able to tie up a Blake's in the tail of your rope for double crotching and other tricks of movement in the canopy, so be sure to not skip that step.

Thanks, Burnham. A (or simpler) it is. At least till I can tie a Blake's in my sleep!

Look at mechanicals. Easier safer smoother and less expensive. Consistently apprentices are more comfortable. Old school learn it for the just in case but to get going less factors to consider is best

Back