Insect and bites

Ok,I'm bout done hatting for now,carry on.
301d0e74fe5f3f793edba89dab10dbb7.jpg

Then here comes a guy, thinking he can just start out with no training and do the job as well as the rest of us.

Jose', I have worked in trees for 40 years next year. Spent years travelling the world, working in different countries, learning other ways of doing things. I regularly visit other members here and pick up stuff from them.
I've educated a slew of apprentices over the years, who are all doing well in the business today.
In short, I've spent an ungodly amount of time trying to get good at this.

Then here comes a guy ( Who BTW, probably partly because of lack of language skills, comes across as somewhat arrogant) who thinks that all he needs to do the same is to buy a saw and some gear.

Stig, I totally get it. Aside from the attitude with which a noob takes advice (which is a HUGE factor), I think you've hit on one the greatest blessings and curses of the internet: the ever-increasing democratization of knowledge.

I am not terribly mechanically inclined, but I fix just about everything in the house now: the cars, the appliances, simple electronics, etc. Why? Because I can look it up on YouTube or find a forum where a mechanic/technician/tradesman has posted how to do it. There's NO way in hell I could do many of these things if I just had to start turning wrenches and figure it out on my own. The internet has allowed me to find--and far more meaningfully, interact in a two-way conversation--with experts of every imaginable kind.

I think the question is how comfortable people are with this new paradigm, which asks them to share their expertise and hard-earned and/or expensive knowledge with people they don't know...for free. A version of this has always happened in a master/apprentice relationship, but that was much more reciprocal than just putting the hotness out on the web for the taking. In the former case, the master got a trained helper for a period of years, in the latter case, all the master gets (at least from me!) is deep and sincere admiration and appreciation. I COMPLETELY understand and respect that, for some, that just isn't an acceptable trade.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was tool to bite my tongue, but if I do, then there will be, just a boring forom,LOL south look at the page even those that opposed my existence can stay away, LOL. I make a page to get advice, but I need advice on how to use it,LOL

Stig, I totally get it. Aside from the attitude with which a noob takes advice (which is a HUGE factor), I think you've hit on one the greatest blessings and curses of the internet: the ever-increasing democratization of knowledge.

I am not terribly mechanically inclined, but I fix just about everything in the house now: the cars, the appliances, simple electronics, etc. Why? Because I can look it up on YouTube or find a forum where a mechanic/technician/tradesman has posted how to do it. There's NO way in hell I could do many of these things if I just had to start turning wrenches and figure it out on my own. The internet has allowed me to find--and far more meaningfully, interact in a two-way conversation--with experts of every imaginable kind.

I think the question is how comfortable people are with this new paradigm, which asks them to share their expertise and hard-earned and/or expensive knowledge with people they don't know...for free. A version of this has always happened in a master/apprentice relationship, but that was much more reciprocal than just putting the hotness out on the web for the taking. In the former case, the master got a trained helper for a period of years, in the latter case, all the master gets (at least from me!) is deep and sincere admiration and appreciation. I COMPLETELY understand and respect that, for some, that just isn't an acceptable trade.
Very well said Jeff but it does sound like your pretty mechanically inclined to me.

LOL LOL. ,LOL

Jose, at least maybe do a favour and take a little wisdom from someone that lives in an ancient culture where the way that people communicate with each other has developed over thousands of years....

Cool it on the LOLs all the time; it's childish, tedious to read, and a stupid way for an adult to write, here or anywhere else.

What do you like more this, :lol:

Look smartass, what I'm saying is that this is a forum mainly made up of professional people, something that you say that you want to achieve as well, so you will find it helpful for yourself to be trying to act like one with your posts. Self "restraint" is a very good quality to have when you want to learn from others, look the word up if you don't know what it means.

It is interesting, anyone else can use humor, however let find away to attack Jose. What is professional about that?

"Shun"

/SHən/

verb

verb: shun; 3rd person present: shuns; past tense: shunned; past participle: shunned; gerund or present participle: shunning

Persistently avoid, ignore, or reject (someone or something) through antipathy or caution.

Stig, I totally get it. Aside from the attitude with which a noob takes advice (which is a HUGE factor), I think you've hit on one the greatest blessings and curses of the internet: the ever-increasing democratization of knowledge. ....

...I think the question is how comfortable people are with this new paradigm, which asks them to share their expertise and hard-earned and/or expensive knowledge with people they don't know...for free. A version of this has always happened in a master/apprentice relationship, but that was much more reciprocal than just putting the hotness out on the web for the taking. In the former case, the master got a trained helper for a period of years, in the latter case, all the master gets (at least from me!) is deep and sincere admiration and appreciation. I COMPLETELY understand and respect that, for some, that just isn't an acceptable trade.

Hi there Spellerfeller, I've been on this forum for what..about 7 years I think.

I reckon everyone on here is very comfortable with the new paradigm, I have never come across anyone here who would not share their knowledge or even offer it before it was asked for in order to help someone new to the trade, or to one of us who was trying something new, or who had a knarly, difficult or dangerous job on the books that they needed some advice for. Advice has been freely, given, discussed and developed here with selfless motives, only to ensure that the person seeking it would go home safely at the end of the day.
We've had rank newbies, those like me who were novices moving on to bigger and better things, and seriously majorly experienced men who have all come here for help and advice, or in some instances to pre-empt issues because something they did that day flagged an inherent danger or simply a better way to do something.
The major difference in the seeker of such advice is an acceptance of one's personal and professional limitations, realizing, recognizing and admitting that this job is complicated, dangerous and can go badly wrong very quickly in a very big way.

So our apparent 'hating' of Jose started from a point of genuine concern for his apparent head-long sprint to buy the most, the biggest and the best gear to start a business with no experience. Our repeated, genuine attempts to offer him sincere advice has been misinterpreted on his part to mean that we don't want him to succeed. That could not be further from the truth. We ALL admire a go-getter, but we are seriously concerned for his welfare and that he doesn't get a bad rep out there because he may not YET know quite what he should to do this job well.

It is interesting, anyone else can use humor, however let find away to attack Jose. What is professional about that?

Might be some cultural difference in that.

I, as a Dane, constantly have to watch myself here, since I'm used to be able to take the piss on people in the worst way without them being upset about it. Danes are notoriously the people who can take the most in being made fun off/ ridiculed.
Americans are a little thin skinned when you make fun of them.

Whenever I visit Schweiz, where my wife is from, I have to be extra-extra careful, because the Swiss take them self VERY seriously and are , if possible, even more patriotic than Americans.

So it is a good idea to test the air before letting the inner smartass out. Jay was trying to be helpful, and you were being a smart ass in return. Guess that'll make him even more helpfull in the future, right?

When you are writing in a language that you don't master so well, you have to be extra careful. We have other people here who occasionally get themselves in trouble because of lack of language skills.

You may be a real nice, mellow guy in real life, but via a keyboard you come across as an arrogant bastard that needs a whack over the head with a chunk of firewood.

So just dial the smartass button a bit down and you'll find that you'll fit much better in here.

The major difference in the seeker of such advice is an acceptance of one's personal and professional limitations, realizing, recognizing and admitting that this job is complicated, dangerous and can go badly wrong very quickly in a very big way.

So our apparent 'hating' of Jose started from a point of genuine concern for his apparent head-long sprint to buy the most, the biggest and the best gear to start a business with no experience. Our repeated, genuine attempts to offer him sincere advice has been misinterpreted on his part to mean that we don't want him to succeed. That could not be further from the truth. We ALL admire a go-getter, but we are seriously concerned for his welfare and that he doesn't get a bad rep out there because he may not YET know quite what he should to do this job well.

Hi, Bermy:

Thanks for this context and background. VERY helpful in understanding the situation.

Gratefully,
Jeff

That is funny, I am glad that you can determine that this context come as well as I can write it, non the less, the lack of writing skills, shut not give anyone the right to attack everything I post. Yes I come across arrogant, now what reason anyone that do not like me base on my writiing, what cut the reason be to come and try over and over to get me to go away. Lets try to read into it, cut I be that I am by name Jose perceived to be a wet bag or as Dunal Trump say a low live. I maybe arrogant, but I serve this country, I shut not and will not let anyone push me around. I am the nicest guy you cut meet, I will help you in a crissis and will not spect nothing in return. It seam to me that, there will be always some that will not agreed with the way I approach thinks. Well, if this is the case do not make you self up set buy reading my nonsense, stay on the wise side of the forum. Look at the tread, read into 85% of the post end on a put down of me. It is not affecting me, but it make difficult for those that get me to engage in a exchange of ideas and information. By the way I am here to stay.

I went to the NC Department of Labor today to find out the rules. Well as surprising as it cut be they do not have any thing to do with the guidelines that apply to the small business force of 'the USA. I was confused, well it turn out that I got to get this information from the small business administration. Well another loss day, will attent to contact them. Now a word of mouths, from the NC Dept. Labor agent, he run a small business hin self, it sean that if I have 2 ,maximum, people on my crew, I have no obligation to there social contributions, to there personal or governmental responsibility, if I hire them as a cosultant or a contractor. Well more reseach need to be make. Will let you know as soon I find out.

Hay told. Never say if you where or when will it be that you where foming true NC.

I'll never believe a US veteran cannot put words together better than what you type. I served only 4 years, but I never met a shipmate who couldn't speak/write English.

Sorry dude, US ARMY They my have lower standars, do not blame me. By the way, Do you feel necessary for me to probe my service to this country . Let me know if you need to see my DD214. I also have a va claim for injuries recieve when in the performance of my Military Duties. Do any one what to see those to. Let me know, by the way VA is denying me any assistance for my injuries, you thing that you can call some one to help me let me know.

Back