He has till 5:15 pm Sunday to finish the the 2160 mi trail to break record

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Ultra runner is trying to break the fastest known time on the Appalachian Trail. He has to average approximately 50 miles per day for 2 months to do it. He's in Maine now on the ruggedest hence slowest parts of the trail. The record is held by a woman who did it hiking (rather than running) long days from 5 am to 10 pm. She chose hiking to save her joints. As the attached article says, if he breaks the record, it will be by a tiny margin, his original plan was to beat it by 4 days. It's a supported run meaning his cohorts do the cooking and tent work etc for him, he just eats, sleeps, and runs.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1997316/will-scott-jurek-break-appalachian-trail-record-maybe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The various record holders say they love the trail every bit as much as regular hikers, they are just doing it faster.

....bunch if my Ski Patrol buds are also river guides. On FB they were trying to put a ride together for him to get across some big lake or river in Maine.(time sensitive volunteer paddling)

Strangely I am fully au fait with the Appalachian trail as a friend of mine on FB who has done the two Mexico to Canada hikes, PCT and some other one has a blog that I have followed. He wrote books about it as well. But well, you know, I found his prose a bit boring, used phrases like "vast vistas" and "babbling brooks" so I didn't buy them.
Good thing to do though. Kudos.

Looks like that may have been re the Kennebec river, he crossed it at 8 am today, 158 miles to go.

Yeah, Mik, I'm trying to read a book now by 2 sisters who thru hiked the trail barefoot. The concept is perfect but the book is a very tough read..

Im sure there is that record as well for someone else

Scott made it, broke the record by a mere 3 hours.

I'll second that.
I'd always figured that someday I'd do the continental divide trail, but with my left knee the way it is, my long distance hiking days are behind me.

Do it while you still can!

i'll third that. Stig, your knee no-like hiking? I'm surprised it tolerates climbing and martial arts if hiking bothers it.

I fear I never have been able to grasp the "fast through hike" mentality. I don't go up there to run past the magnificence, I go to immerse myself in it deeply, and for me that has to be slowly.

I fear I never have been able to grasp the "fast through hike" mentality. I don't go up there to run past the magnificence, I go to immerse myself in it deeply, and for me that has to be slowly.

I have to agree, it shouldn't be an athletic event. (Not that I'm ever likely to do anything like that)

With today's modern fabric, gear is incredibly light. If you change your mindset to go light and fast, old knees might not matter

Last years trip to sierra , I carried a 20lb pack. Included gear to Bivy/tarp, climbing gear...albeit sparse. And food for five days

We blew past countless others dying under the weight of HUGE packs.

Also, IMO trekking poles are no doubt key to saving knees. Wish I started using when I was you get but my ego was to big

...yep , the hardcore through hikers went light...easy to pick out ... Also easy to beg food from those of us w heavies at the shelters

That puts me in mind of that scene in Breaking Bad...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8aYp5_amvVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

@ :16 - :30

Back