New guy question, can branches without leaves just be dormant?

My contract job do not allow me to take time off, in fact all time off was scheduled on Dec last year, and if some one cancel, it will go up for grabs by seniority /first come first serve. I am out the regulars roster , they get first choice then the contract employees . But even then ,I would have to preplanned before going, nevertheless I will utube, and will read on any details you put up, hay "pictures worth a thousand words" or something like that.

Last edited:
Interesting photo and caption, Treelooker. Impressive!!!
Does this Lazarus Effect also occur on White Pines riddled with decay, ants, and woodpecker cavities?
Jose, if you do not take up this guy on his offer, you are missing an incredible opportunity to learn.

Lazarus was dead, the pine was not.

That's 4 analogies that lack relevance.

Ants are not harmful.
Decay can be compartmentalized.
Cavities look a lot scarier than they really are. No data to support removal.
Woodpeckers are beneficial associates until proven guilty of being pests.

Ants are not harmful.
Woodpeckers are beneficial associates until proven guilty of being pests

:beer:

Can branches without leaves just be dormant?..can a tree riddled with feeding cavities evidence support for removal?
Can Angels dance on the head of a pin?
To provide some context / clarity, here are two photos of a white pine on someone's property adjacent to a building.
An asset that increases the home's value if you were selling it???

image.jpg
image.jpg

...Ants are not harmful.
Woodpeckers are beneficial associates until proven guilty of being pests.

An eloquent example of the misguided logic that has clouded people's judgment for a long, long time. Stripping something down to it's individual components does not accurately reflect what is happening when those same components are combined.

I think when a Pileated Woodpecker is going medieval on a tree like the photos above, neither an arborist doing some pruning, or a Mariachi band serenading the tree with a ballad about CODIT is gonna be acting in the homeowner's best interests.

I think when a Pileated Woodpecker is going medieval on a tree like the photos above, neither an arborist doing some pruning, or a Mariachi band serenading the tree with a ballad about CODIT is gonna be acting in the homeowner's best interests.

Ha ha, and there's the rub.

Depends on the species.
Ther are trees where that woodpecker damage wouls be fatal and others where it wouldn't matter a bit.
However, a Mariachi band might kill the latter type.

Depends on the species. There are trees where that woodpecker damage would be fatal and others where it wouldn't matter a bit.
However, a Mariachi band might kill the latter type.

Agree.

"An eloquent example of the misguided logic that has clouded people's judgment for a long, long time. Stripping something down to it's individual components does not accurately reflect what is happening when those same components are combined."

That's IF they can be combined aka connected, but neither the presence nor the potential pestiness of ants, not the pathogenicity of the brown rot (if it doesn't kill sapwood, it ain't a pest) has been demonstrated. Condemning trees, based on combining speculations into a worst-case scenario; now that's misguided.

However, good forensic investigation involves both deconstruction and aggregation, so we're both right! See the new Documenting Evidence book for more.

Run, DMc! (couldn't resist) :)

Back