Don't forget your chaps!!

NickfromWI

King of Splices
One of our guys had a situation today. Thought the picture would make a good visual reminder for the sawyers here to don that PPE!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435284808.492508.jpg

Stay safe out there!

love
nick

As much as chaps suck, probably better that cutting your leg open. Looks like he wasn't the only one to have an accident tho, that poor truck....

There's hitting them and touching them on a rundown when you bring the saw toward yourself after a cut. What did these guys do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The guy pictured was drop starting it without the chain brake on while standing in the middle of a tight war field of fallen tangled branches. In the motion of starting it, the bar got directed into his upper left thigh.

Second guy was doing the final stump cut. The contact happened super low by the left ankle. I haven't spoken to him directly about it, but the rest of the guys explained that it seemed like he sort of walked into it while scooting forward to advance the saw in the cut. I know the stump he was cutting was a super tight area on an extremely steep and uneven hillside- so I'm sure that played a role...but I don't have all the details.

love
nick

And it gets to 100°+ here, but yesterday it was more like 75°.

Our guys are really good about wearing PPE regardless of temperature situation though.

love
nick

We don't have "policies" per se....but do encourage overall safe and ever improving work practices.

We'll talk about these incidences at the Monday meeting and write up incident reports. Fn OSHA makes you document everything.

love
nick

Ok thanks for the explanations Nick, stump cuts can be nasty cos you're doing weird stuff, I nicked my hand with my 066 once.

OSHA does not know anything about this. However in the future, if there were to be a situation, they would ask for documentation on previous incidences. They would not care about what we talked about in our safety meetings, they would be more interested in seeing documentation about what we talked about, with signatures of all the attendees. We need to be able to show that there is a culture of safety in our company. That needs to be evident on paper. They can't just ask the crew to confirm it.

love
nick

Very true Nick. With a few documented incident reports it lets them see you're not hiding things. If your company has no reports and something bad was to happen they will follow you around looking for more problems and fines to impose. I hope to never deal with them onsite. The WC/OSHA day is bad enough.

Glad your safety culture worked, Nick.

There's hitting them and touching them on a rundown when you bring the saw toward yourself after a cut. What did these guys do?

A couple weeks ago, I did the later, cut my kneecap. Second time that exact thing happened, first time was like 30 yr ago. I don't think chaps existed back then but I wasn't wearing them 2 weeks ago. Reallllllll dumb. I rarely take them off, now. Wow they are insanely hot but it is a miracle I wasn't hurt worse, took 10 staples to the skin.

Back