Class E Helmets

NickfromWI

King of Splices
5f2283557fd342986000c5b5124fe943.jpg

What are your thoughts on this.

Seems goofy to me.

love
nick

You mean because of heat related stress? If so, what is your stance on chaps which are crazy hot.

I see your point there the heat here is not so much a problem but the air can move around in it as there is a gap between band and helmet. As for chaps we have to wear full all round protection at all times as a climber. Does not matter on how hot it is. Just have to take more breaks according to your bosses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If vented chaps provided protection from the risks associated with our work, I'd be all for them!

love
nick

Fwiw, I used to only wear non vented, now I wear vented for the last 2 or 3 years, I don't really sense much of a difference either way.

Some utility companies here actually make you wear fireproof overalls over the top of all your ppe as well. So it can be quite oppressive at times.

I see your point there the heat here is not so much a problem but the air can move around in it as there is a gap between band and helmet. As for chaps we have to wear full all round protection at all times as a climber. Does not matter on how hot it is. Just have to take more breaks according to your bosses.

Ian, you can do a simple risk assessment & if the danger fromheat exhaustion/fatigue/reduced mobility etc outweigh the benefits of type c trousers, then you can wear type A's (front only protection)

It stems from someone cutting the back of there legs by falling onto someone else's running down saw. Pathetic imho

Sorry for the de-rail Nick

One I know of was a faller we had who was limbing a big spruce. Walking down the top of the log he touched a big limb under tension with the 090 and the saw went up over his head with his throttle hand still on the handle. Short guy, long bar, the saw dangled behind his back WO. Tip of the bar touched the log and it ran up into his calf.

Robby Hooker was his name, from Horsefly, good guy...

I've seen more than one climber cut under/behind his legs w/top of bar (usually one handed) instead of moving to be in a safer position for the cut. One managed to catch the tip of his saw and ran the chain into his calve...not pretty.

Back