Big stub- leave it or cut it

I'll defer to those with more Aleppo experience. I would not trust a loblolly to pump enough resin to cap it. Plus it looks like between the tearout damage and old age, the tree may be a tad stressed.
Also Mr. Burnham in a forest you would be absolutely right; fine on its own. but Nick ain't in the forest; perception may not BE reality, but it can dictate events.

Nick we gotta talk about trees getting NERC'd around. I've had a few utility cases lately--teams of tree lawyers in NC too!

If it was a hardwood, Oak or whatever I could see a point in reduction/retrenchment whatever, but with a pine like that a reduction doesn't really work for me.
The other two stems will receive new wind forces now the other stem is gone.
Why take a risk and delay the inevitable? the sooner you plant replacements the sooner they'll be of some value visually.
I know lots of people will decry such tree killing but I think we should concentrate on replanting/creating areas of woodland rather than wasting resources on a single tree.

What sort of health is the left hand leader nick as there looks to be a tear out of a good size in that as well. Just looking at the picture?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The health is really good. Needle color and canopy density are both great. There is tons of callous wood around the old tear.

That failure happened years ago. Approx a decade we think.

I'm quite sure the client would have me assassinated if I recommended removing and replanting.

love
nick

...I think we should concentrate on replanting/creating areas of woodland rather than wasting resources on a single tree.

Why? Average lifespan for a newly planted tree in urban are is approx 7 yrs. In a decade there's no way the ten new trees will have even ten percent of a total canopy mass of the single existing tree, plus you'll have lost a few thousand dollars on the removal and couple thousand more buying and installing new trees and you'll have lost the many years of shade, oxygen output, habitat, etc that this massive canopy still had left.

I respectfully disagree that it makes sense to chop down big trees and replace them with little ones.

love
nick

Lawyers are involved. Walk away and let some other tree guy get sued for what they did, or did not do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? Average lifespan for a newly planted tree in urban are is approx 7 yrs. In a decade there's no way the ten new trees will have even ten percent of a total canopy mass of the single existing tree, plus you'll have lost a few thousand dollars on the removal and couple thousand more buying and installing new trees and you'll have lost the many years of shade, oxygen output, habitat, etc that this massive canopy still had left.

I respectfully disagree that it makes sense to chop down big trees and replace them with little ones.

love
nick

Point taken.

If you not scared off by lawyers, I would Cut that stub down to green for sure, let it seal over...

worked on this Aleppo twice, both times for SBD (summer branch drop/sudden branch drop) 3 different branches two summers in a row

Y2tc8t5l.jpg

4PID3fXl.jpg

Potential litigation is nothing to fear, if you can defend your work. Hollow trees over highways; we've pruned a few. no worries.

That pine can regain symmetry and aesthetics, in time.

How are the roots?

...I love quality work...but disagree about litigation. It IS something to fear ! ...Avoid it like The Plague. Not worth all your savings , business , and reputation to defend yourself. I Would not touch it without a signed release from ALL parties. One protracted lawsuit can ruin a whole day.

I don't see it as something to fear. Nobody asked me for a tree guarantee or anything. Nor was one ever implied. The questions at hand right now are how aggressive must the utility company be when they prune the tree.

Lawsuits, like big trees, should be given the respect they deserve, but not feared unless the situation warrants it.

This is a tree that all of you would happily park under or work in. I'm sure 95% of you would also be happy to live under it.

Guy- the roots seem fine as far as we can see. Tilt sensor testing is likely to occur.

love
nick

That tree is in self destruction mode. It's on its way out. Any money or effort to try and preserve the tree at this point in time is not worth it. It should have been paid far more attention to when it was much younger. Then it would be a finer specimen today, and free of major defects.

From what I remember of Aleppo pines I would agree with Gerry. What is around it besides the wires?

i for one don't trust aleppo pine. ive seen a lot of twist fractures an codom failures, and most if not all the big ones sorely lack history of proper care. if you have to preserve it, i would agree with others in recommending reduction/endweight pruning on the major limbs and the head over the lines (it looks like its leaning over the lines?). winter pruning of course. and clean up the end of the stub. my 2 cents

Hang in there Nick and don't let the utility bully anybody around. They blow a lot of hot air.

Why should they prune it at all? If it's privatley owned, the owner should be proactive and hire an arborist to do the work before the power company shows up.

does the citizensrooted.com job sound familiar?

Back