Throw away your spurs and ascenders

cory

Tree House enthusiast
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-4E-rw3AP_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah... My manager told me some lie about his "crew in NorCal" climbing up an O.G.R. with spurs only, and no flip. I highly doubt it happened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
his "crew in NorCal" climbing up an O.G.R. with spurs only, and no flip. I highly doubt it happened.

Me neither. Plus it wouldn't be cool, just dumb imo.

They shouldn't be climbing so high in those tender tops. The bark is thin, the branches are weak, and twigs of new growth are knocked off on every visit. As is the top of that tree already looks bare. Probably from previous visits to measure the inth degree of its growth. That poor redwood is taking a beating from those scientists measuring it.

And then promoting stunt climbing the trees to boot. I get fired up every time I hear the scientists tell people that the redwood canopy is fragile and they go prancing around in the wee tops. Oh, it gets me going..

I can't stand how anyone talks about how people shouldn't be climbing these Giants but then they do. I will cut researchers some slack but I know of other climbers who do it just to measure the heights and then get their undies in a bunch when others do it for recreational purposes. I don't know why those guys think they should have the privilege but us "common folk" shouldn't. I'd love to climb a Redwood some day but I'd be fine doing it in some average 200 footer in someone's yard.

Who am I kidding, I would be too scared to go very 100ft.
They shouldn't be climbing so high in those tender tops. The bark is thin, the branches are weak, and twigs of new growth are knocked off on every visit. As is the top of that tree already looks bare. Probably from previous visits to measure the inth degree of its growth. That poor redwood is taking a beating from those scientists measuring it.

And then promoting stunt climbing the trees to boot. I get fired up every time I hear the scientists tell people that the redwood canopy is fragile and they go prancing around in the wee tops. Oh, it gets me going..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

20gjpjd.jpg

Ditto, my brother. It's Sillett-worshipping all over again.

Yup.
Guy is a complete ass, but he sure knows how to self promote through the help of others.

Last edited:
Damn. Y'all jumped on that guy quick. Sounds like he has a appreciation for nature and some mad climbing skills. I would never ask permission to go climb something but it's good to pretend that permission is needed. "Common folk" often trash up these beautiful places.

I'm with Page. Am I missing something? Isn't he just a rock climber trying it out on trees? He's hurting the tree somehow?

:?

I'll say it again, for clarity...Sillett style foolishness and arrogance. If that doesn't make my position, and that of Jerry Beranek, Stig, and several other well-respected long time members clear to Page and Butch, so be it and too bad.

You need to read some of the past threads regarding Steve Sillett, Butch. Refresh your memory on what Jerry and I are talking about.

Or not...no worries.

Yep, the whole thing isn't about those guys climbing, it's about them saying we shouldn't while they're jugging their way up. Our industry showed them how to access the canopies and now they do it better because they have a degree that says so

But isn't that the way it works? If you pay more to learn it then your better than everyone else! At least that's the way some of the people I have met think.

I'll say it again, for clarity...Sillett style foolishness and arrogance. If that doesn't make my position, and that of Jerry Beranek, Stig, and several other well-respected long time members clear to Page and Butch, so be it and too bad.

Wow, I wish that I had found this thread before posting about Chris Sharma climbing the Redwoods in my other thread. I had no idea that he was doing it in Sillett style with scientists. To be honest with you, I hadn't even had a chance to watch the video until a few minutes ago. I just saw it, and thought that Sharma was just climbing up to the first branches Free Solo. I didn't take the time to read about the whole "scientist" thing. Chris Sharma seems cool, but Sillett is an ass IMO.

Burnham, I too agree with you, Jerry, Stig and others about Sillett and his bullshit about climbing the Redwoods. Hell, I can't even look at the cover of Preston's book The Wild Trees without getting pissed off at the guy for not giving proper credit to guys like Jerry and all their early studies of the Redwoods.

Butch, feel free to delete my other thread. I DO NOT want to be seen promoting Sillett, or any of those other so called climbing scientists.

Back