Kask Ear Protection

ruel

TreeHouser
I just bought a Kask helmet with the new 3m ear muffs. Super comfortable helmet, but the ear muffs don't seem to do anything. It feels like there is not enough pressure to form a tight seal, so it is virtually as loud as not having them down. I ran into this same problem when I borrowed a coworkers kask.

Several of the treestuff reviews mention the same problem... I find it hard to believe that so many people use a product with such a big design flaw, so there must be some way to fix it. Any ideas?

Does the helmet only work with some models of ear protection?

Is everyone out there rocking the Kask with earplugs underneath their earmuffs?

Reg, in your videos are you just wearing the earmuffs for fashion's sake? :)

Mine work fine sometimes you have to tilt them up under the helmet and push them tight.
Hope that makes sense?

Many helmets with muffs have a detent that must be engaged, resulting in a snug fit.

Know what I mean?

The 3M muffs have two stages, the click to get them snug is quite stiff. I have them on my Vertex and LOVE them.
You got the lime green ones?

I second that you haven't engaged the detent on the muffs, push the 2 wire pieces above the muff real hard. The muffs work great

I had a set of Peltor muffs that were horrible no in pressure what so ever. The "detent" wasn't strong enough for my big head and switched them out for Husqvarna muffs problem solved.

I use those red & black Peltor, top stuff.

Also Bilson Leightning L3H, equal to Peltor green and pretty good.

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/leightning

14233_L3H_Black_large.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I do have the lime green ones, are people saying that there are three positions for the wire? If only two, I've got them pushed in all the way. Any other ideas

A couple of our crew switched to the stein model that tree stuff has. It seems they work better than the 3M ...but I haven't tried it yet.

love
nick

everything looks good to me, cannt imagine for the life of me why you are having poor results. Only other thing I can think is that sometimes the top of the muff gets caught on the bottom of the helmet and prevents a good seal? In your picture the muff is a good 2 inches in from the helmet, surely your head isn't in any further?

It's legit what ruel is talking about. I had the same prob. PCTREE nailed it. The top of the muff hits the bottom of the helmet.

When you put the helmet on, the muff moves out a little, causing the interference

d420366df464d54dc0f60b2c58f5606b.jpg

It doesn't sit tucked under the helmet as shown here. I can take a pic when the get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me the mount is causing the wire to be angled slightly outwards?

I had a Petzl Ecrin Roc with an ear muff adaptor, with peltor muffs I had to bend the wire in a lot to make them sit snug to my ears on the second click

Try taking the muffs off, bend the wire in more then remount...?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Though I had it figured out... the wires were hitting the sides of the ear cut out, preventing them from pressing down all the way. Switched out to the Husky/MSA muffs today, and they don't work either. This is driving me crazy! Any more ideas?

The other problem I found with mine is sometimes the chin strap can cause the seal to be loose at the bottom of the muffled. I pull mine downwards on the strap before clipping up. The other thing is your mounts on the side look a lot higher than mine I would show a pic but my helmet is in my yard.

Have you extended the ear muffs to the full length? as I had the same problem with a construction helmet, I found that I needed to extend it to the end and then with the helmet on adjust it and click as I went. Hope this helps.

Back